Residence Hall Director
Aurora University is an independent, comprehensive institution founded in 1893 offering bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees. Our two campuses are located in Aurora, Illinois and on the shores of Geneva Lake in Wisconsin. Additionally, we have an Educational Center in Woodstock, Illinois. We seek people passionately involved in the educational process who will help us realize our vision.
Position Purpose: The Residence Hall Director supports learning by building community, developing leaders on campus and focusing on student retention efforts. The Residence Hall Director is a full-time, 12-month, live-in position. The Residence Hall Director (RHD) is an active and visible member of our campus learning community and is expected to enhance the living environment of the residence halls through staff and student development, resident outreach, community building, attention to facilities, and administrative organization. In addition, this person is additionally responsible for overseeing the housing assignment process and work closely with food service and facilities.
- Represents Aurora University in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our service, learns and uses operating practices of the department and Aurora University.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Aurora University an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
- Handle confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Supports learning through performance of essential job functions and performing other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Establishes and maintains community with students living in the residence hall/area through individual contacts and group interactions.
- Participates in the recruitment, selection and training of Resident Assistants and other student leaders.
- Trains and supervises the resident assistants. Provides regular individual and group supervision, and completes written evaluations each semester.
- Enforces policies and procedures which establish a safe and secure living situation. Effectively communicates concerning situations to supervisor(s).
- Provides administrative leadership in the residence halls, including knowledge of occupancy, overseeing a key inventory, tracking area community development/programming initiatives, etc.
- Maintains a high level of awareness regarding the facilities of the residence halls, including forwarding and tracking work orders, overseeing the damage process for the residence halls and maintaining accurate records.
- Participates in rotating on-campus duty responsibilities in supervising the campus on weekends, weeknights and vacation periods, and during emergencies.
- Serves as a member of the Academic and Student Life Services team, attending staff meetings and actively participating in such programs as student events, orientations, open houses, registration events, and commencement.
- Possible performs a collateral assignment, as directed by the Director of Student Life and/or Vice President for Academic and Student Life.
Essential Job Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of higher education and student development principles, practices, and procedures.
- Prior Residence Life experience preferred.
- Effective oral/written communication, interpersonal skills, attention to detail, and excellent time management skills.
- On-campus duty responsibilities in supervising the campus on weekends, weeknights, vacation periods, and during emergencies.
- Ability to move about campus. Active engagement throughout campus with the ability to move around to assess facilities.
Benefit-eligible positions offer excellent benefits including health, dental, life, vision, long term disability, a 403(b) retirement plan through TIAA, and tuition remission. Please send resume with cover letter and contact information for three references including name, telephone and email address.
347 South Gladstone Ave
Aurora, IL 60506
630-844-5650 - fax
[email protected] - email
Aurora University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.