Research Specialist 2 (Shuman Lab)
Hyde Park Campus
20140 BSD Microbiology
About the Unit
Microbiology is the scientific discipline that examines microbes and microbial diseases. Microbes, small organisms that require microscopic tools for visualization, encompass bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites. Basic research in Microbiology studies eradication of important pathogens, prevention of human diseases, development of gene therapies and the evolution of new strategies for personalized medicine.
Perform complex technical duties relating to microbiology, molecular biology, biochemistry and cell biology with bacterial pathogens. Develop assays and perform record-keeping.
- 10% Laboratory organization and ordering
- 40% Develop/perform assays and perform record-keeping
- 10% Perform mammalian and protist cell culture
- 20% Perform molecular cloning and PCR
- 10% Perform purification and expression of proteins
- 10% Perform cell biology imaging experiments (fluorescence and EM)
- Work in BSL-2 conditions
- Maintain all safety training
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in a biological or chemical science required
- At least 3 years of experience working in molecular microbiology, bacterial genetics, or biochemistry required
Technical Knowledge or Skills:
- Knowledge of computers, including Microsoft Word and Excel required
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
Mental and physical demands:
- Duties are varied and require high organizational ability, careful record-keeping, precise usage of instruments, and an ability to handle multiple tasks
- Must be sighted, able to read and write.
- Must have good manual dexterity and color discrimination
- Must have ability to perform fine motor tasks
- Must have ability to exert 10-25 pounds of force and work with hands
- A cover letter and resume are required to be considered for this position
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application.
Depends on Qualification
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Job is Exempt?
Drug Test Required?
Does this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?
Health Screen Required?
Remove from Posting On or Before
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
The University of Chicago is an urban research university that has driven new ways of thinking since 1890. Our commitment to free and open inquiry draws inspired scholars to our global campuses, where ideas are born that challenge and change the world.
We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of original ideas. Students in the College develop critical, analytic, and writing skills in our rigorous, interdisciplinary core curriculum. Through graduate programs, students test their ideas with UChicago scholars, and become the next generation of leaders in academia, industry, nonprofits, and government.
To learn more about the university click here http://www.uchicago.edu/