Houston Community College (HCC) is an open-admission, public institution of higher education offering a high-quality, affordable education for academic advancement, workforce training, career development and lifelong learning to prepare individuals in our diverse communities for life and work in a global and technological society. We're proud to say that 98 percent of our graduates step into a job in their field of study immediately upon graduation. One of the largest community colleges in the nation, HCC has served the Greater Houston area for over four decades. Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Schools Commission on Colleges, we offer 300+ associate degree and certificate programs to 75,000+ students across 13 Centers of Excellence and online each semester. We are proud to be No.1 among all community colleges in the nation in providing associate degrees to minorities and No.1 in educating international students, with 10.4 percent of our student population from outside the USA. Our vision is to become the Employer of Choice in support of our mission for Student Success by attracting, retaining and motivating the best employees.
Be a part of a dynamic community dedicated to providing the resources, guidance and inspiration needed to create the ultimate student experience: from registration and financial aid applications to the first time they arrive at one of our Centers of Excellence or log in to their first class, from academic success planning to providing a safe environment, and from connecting them with community networks to launching them into the career of their dreams. Make their student experience exceptional.
We are currently seeking a Paralegal who will advance the institution's proud tradition of excellence in academics, student life and community service.
In this role, you'll provide legal support and assist the Assistant General Counsels with legal research, preparing and reviewing contracts, litigation management and support, interfacing with external/internal stakeholders, file management, and administrative tasks.
If you are detail oriented and a person who gets things done, this is the position for you.
Houston is a city with limitless possibilities:
- Third-largest city in the U.S. and home to 54 Fortune 500 companies, second only to New York City's 55.
- 145 languages are spoken here.
- Overall after-taxes living costs are 5.6 percent below the average for all 308 urban areas recently surveyed.
- Houston is a major-league sports town, and don't forget the annual Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo.
- The weather is great! Mild winters ensure that outdoor activities can be enjoyed year-round.
- World-renowned medical care. The Houston metro area has long been known for its first-rate health care system, with many Houston area hospitals consistently ranking among the nation's top institutions.
- With over 150 museums and cultural institutions in the Greater Houston area, museums are a large part of Houston's cultural scene.
- Houston is the Culture & Culinary Capital of Texas with more than 7,500 restaurants and eating establishments covering 60+ cuisines.
If this sounds like the role for you and you're ready to join an amazing team, please apply right away.
It is the policy of the Houston Community College System to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or veteran's status. Individuals with disabilities, who require special accommodations to interview, should contact the Employment Services Office at (713) 718-8565.
HCC values its employees and their contributions, promotes opportunities for their professional growth and development, and provides a positive working and learning environment that encourages diversity, innovation and creativity, and inclusion.
This position will provide legal support and assist the Assistant General Counsels with legal research, preparing and reviewing contracts, litigation management and support, interfacing with external/internal stakeholders, file management, and administrative tasks.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Conduct legal research and summarize findings;
- Initiate changes to standard contract templates, as directed by supervisor;
- Prepare, review, and organize legal correspondence;
- Prepare, proof, and assemble a variety of legal documents, including government/administrative filings, contracts, and other legal documents;
- Interact with clients to gather background information, which includes informing of case/matter status on a periodic basis;
- Engage with external stakeholders and internal clients regarding legal matters.
- Professionally and diplomatically resolve issues regarding client concerns and other matters, as necessary;
- Organize and maintain Assistant General Counsel files;
- Schedule meetings, conference calls, interviews for investigations, etc.;
- Maintain and update a library of forms and resources;
- File or obtaining legal documents with appropriate governmental entities or external partners;
- Manage confidential information with discretion, and execute the highest level of customer service; and
- Assist with special projects as requested by Assistant General Counsel or General Counsel.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. The qualifications listed below are representative of the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
Bachelor's degree required or an Associate's degree with Certification for Paralegal or Legal Assistant.
Minimum of five (5) years of experience as a paralegal or legal assistant with paralegal duties.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Knowledge of Microsoft office applications, spreadsheets, database programs and office automation;
- Demonstrated ability to work with outside counsel and to interact with senior management;
- Ability to adjust to changing job requirements and priorities in order to meet dynamic needs and workflow;
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent organizational and legal research skills, the ability to work independently as well as part of a team, good judgment and decision making;
- Must be diligent and adaptable to changing demands/priorities, and technically proficient;
- Proven ability to achieve goals, meet competing deadlines in a fast-paced environment, and deliver consistently superior performance; and
- Ability to take initiative and assume responsibility for assigned tasks.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
This job description may be revised upon development of other duties and changes in responsibilities.