Vice Provost for Academic Administration
Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative and nontraditional teaching and learning.
The college continues its 47-year commitment experimenting with new, flexible, and individualized modes of learning through such practices as mentoring students throughout their academic studies, creating individualized degree plans, valuing learning gained from life and work experience, building professional and social student support communities and creating flexible modes of delivery to meet students' diverse learning preferences. The college now boast over 75,000 proud and successful alumni and partners with nearly 20,000 students a year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
Empire State College is a part of the SUNY System and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, ESC serves mostly working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's degrees online and onsite at 35 locations across the state of New York and abroad.
SUNY Empire State College is seeking an experienced, collaborative and visionary professional to oversee all aspects of Academic Affairs Administration. Reporting directly to the Provost, the Vice Provost for Academic Administration (VPAA) will be a highly visible leader and member of the Provost's senior staff.
The VPAA will oversee management and administrative functions of Academic Affairs and maintain a culture of assessment and continuous improvement. The VPAA will provide fiscal oversight for Academic Affairs and will develop strategic budget priorities in collaboration with the Provost. A keen understanding of higher education trends will be critical in the management of budget and academic policies and procedures to maximize the effectiveness of Academic Affairs.
The VPAA responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead the development, articulation and implementation of administrative systems
- A strong commitment to academic excellence, technology, student success, innovation, and partnership development across the state of New York, nationally and internationally
- Develop and lead a team in the Registrar's Office
- Academic development including systems implementation, and programs and partnerships
- Decision-making informed by data
- Foster collaboration and transparency in the evolution and dissemination of policies and procedures
- Create systems and practices that ensure an inclusive environment for a diverse faculty, staff and student body
- Support the mission of the College and to its core values of access, excellence and diversity
The incumbent will work closely with culturally diverse faculty, staff and students in a multicultural learning work environment.
- An earned doctorate from a regionally accredited US institution or equivalent non-US institution
- Experience in academic budgeting and planning
- A record of successful application of technology in delivering services and information in an efficient and secure manner
- A minimum of three years' experience in academic administration at the Dean level, equivalent or higher
- Established ability in working effectively within a shared governance environment
- Experience with online and blended delivery models
- Experience with successful change management
- Demonstrated knowledge of SUNY System Administration and New York State Education Department processes, policies, regulations and laws
- Successful background in developing strong relationships with educational partners, regulatory agencies and/or accreditation organizations
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering a diverse working and learning environment
This is a Management/Confidential position. Travel to regions with other Empire State College locations is required, along with occasional evening and weekend obligations. VISA sponsorship is not available for this position.
Rank/Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Applications Due by: April 20th, 2018
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security