Director, International Admissions
Director, International Admissions
The George Mason University Office of Admissions is seeking a dynamic, motivated and innovative Director of International Admissions. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason's academic and culturally inclusive environment.
The Office of Admissions is looking for a visionary leader with great entrepreneurial, strategic, and analytic skills, possessing finesse as a manager and collaborator. This position reports to the Dean of Admissions, and plays a significant role in a team-oriented leadership approach to the university's mission and ambitious goals.
The Director of International Admissions manages a team of eight international admissions professionals, in addition to occasional student or non-student wage personnel, in order to successfully recruit and enroll international students to Mason. The Director's team covers all of the international markets that Mason serves, and the Director will lead new initiatives to yield international students as per Mason's explicit goal to grow its international population. The Director is a strategic partner with Mason Korea and INTO Mason, collaborating with them on their enrollment strategies and goals. The Director manages the admissions process for all partnerships.
- Responsible for the recruitment, admission and enrollment of new international students;
- Provides leadership in the achievement of enrollment targets; and is responsible for international admissions policies, processes and practices;
- Tracks enrollment trends and communicates them in a timely, efficient and accurate manner to various stakeholders;
- Analyzes enrollment trends to develop and execute effective recruitment strategies;
- Partner with INTO Mason and Mason Korea to meet international recruitment goals;
- Review and process international applications, including credential evaluations, and make admissions decisions;
- Strategize and plan effective international travel for their team and will participate in international travel as needed;
- Represent Mason at professional conferences domestically;
- Manages the daily operations of international admissions, implementing and administering initiatives designed to target, recruit, admit and enroll international students such as: communication campaigns, application review, technology systems, accurate and thorough reports, budget management and cross-campus collaborations;
- Research and execute new outreach strategies to maximize Mason's presence in the international market;
- Provides exemplary leadership in an environment that is fast-paced with high expectations;
- Build, train and mentor the International Admissions team who serve the needs of international students at Mason;
- Exhibit a genuine, professional and positive impression of the university;
- Works with the Admissions leadership team to help execute the university's goals; and
- Work collaboratively with all areas of Enrollment Management, as well as various stakeholders across the University.
- Master's degree is required;
- Substantial progressive experience in college/university admissions (five to eight years strongly desired), with significant senior-level and supervisor experience (at least three to four years strongly desired);
- Extensive experience working with international students (five years strongly desired);
- A thorough understanding of the new student recruitment process for an international student audience;
- Knowledge of international education systems, international documents and credential evaluation;
- Ability to interpret enrollment research and make relevant application to strategic planning;
- Demonstrated understanding of admissions technical systems;
- Experience managing a complex budget;
- Experience working in a high-pressure environment;
- Collaborative work style;
- Possess emotional intelligence and professional maturity;
- Dedication to great customer service;
- Extremely comfortable working with culturally and ethnically diverse populations;
- Superior interpersonal, cross-cultural communications and public speaking skills;
- Must be highly organized and detail-oriented;
- Strong problem-solving skills;
- Strong analytical and decision-making skills;
- Ability to prioritize;
- Comfortable handling sensitive and/or confidential information and situations;
- Ability to work independently;
- Availability for weekend and evening work; and
- Willing to travel.
- Familiarity with Ellucian Banner and/or Salesforce;
- Experience living and working abroad;
- Professional engagement beyond the institutional setting; and
- Demonstrated experience with change management.
George Mason University's pioneering tradition of innovation attracts some of the brightest minds in the country. Mason is only minutes from the nation's capital and is close to cultural activities, excellent schools, and vibrant neighborhoods in a region known for its dynamic growth and opportunity. Mason enrolls over 33,000 students in more than 200-degree programs at the undergraduate, master's, doctoral and professional levels; and The Chronicle of Higher Education named Mason one of the “Great Colleges to Work For.”
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA865z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.