Vice Provost for Academic Affairs
Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative and nontraditional teaching and learning.
The college continues its 47-year commitment experimenting with new, flexible, and individualized modes of learning through such practices as mentoring students throughout their academic studies, creating individualized degree plans, valuing learning gained from life and work experience, building professional and social student support communities and creating flexible modes of delivery to meet students' diverse learning preferences. The college now boast over 75,000 proud and successful alumni and partners with nearly 20,000 students a year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
Empire State College is a part of the SUNY System and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, ESC serves mostly working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's degrees online and onsite at 35 locations across the state of New York and abroad.
SUNY Empire State College is seeking an experienced academic administrator to undertake a leadership position in academic affairs. The Vice Provost for Academic Affairs reports directly to the Provost and oversees the work of the academic division.
This position includes functional relationships and a high degree of collaboration with the faculty, staff and administrators within the Office of Academic Affairs and other divisions of the college. The Vice Provost will play a role in representing the college within SUNY, the state, and national and international organizations devoted to online and innovative higher education. This position supports the mission, values, and priorities of the Academic Master Plan within the context of the College's Strategic Plan.
The Vice Provost's responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Supervising undergraduate associate deans
- Supporting faculty development
- Managing the processes around promotion and tenure
- Working cross-functionally with other departments within Academic Affairs including faculty and student support offices
- Leading the promotion of intellectual contributions to the college
- Representing the college in SUNY and other national initiatives
The incumbent will work closely with culturally diverse faculty, staff and students in a multicultural learning work environment.
- An earned doctorate from a regionally accredited US institution or equivalent non-US institution
- Substantial faculty experience
- A minimum of three years’ experience in academic administration at the Dean level, equivalent or higher
- Outstanding communication skills
- Strong record of productivity and collaboration
- Genuine affinity with the public mission of the college
- A record of scholarly activity
- Commitment to shared governance
- Demonstrated experience in online and blended modes of delivery
- Understanding of financial and operational drivers of performance
- Experience with student retention and success
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity in higher education
- Experience with adult-learner friendly institutions
- Successful experiences in developing strong relationships with educational partners, regulatory agencies and accreditation organizations
- Familiarity with SUNY System Administration and educational trends in higher education
This is a Management/Confidential position. Travel to regions with other Empire State College locations is required, along with occasional evening and weekend obligations. VISA sponsorship is not available for this position.
Rank/Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Applications Due by: April 20th, 2018
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security