Associate Director, Advancement Events
The Associate Director, Advancement Events reports directly to the Director of Advancement Events. This position is responsible for planning and managing the successful execution of events that deepen the engagement and philanthropic commitment of the University of Denver community. These events vary significantly in size, purpose and complexity. The Associate Director will oversee a team of event managers and assistants to deliver high quality events for DU advancement. S/he will serve as the project lead for all events assigned to his/her portfolio and is responsible for collaborating with their team to track the tasks, timeline and budget for each function. S/he must interact with a variety of stakeholders to ensure the vision and purpose of the event is fulfilled, with great care for meeting DU advancement's quality standards and protocol, within established time and budgetary constraints.
This employee must be able to multi-task and prioritize many competing deadlines. A strong sense of organizational savvy and ability to manage the expectations of stakeholders with various, and sometimes competing, interests is essential. The successful incumbent must also possess a keen attention to detail and the ability to incorporate special touches that elevate the overall feel of advancement events.
- Lead a team of event planning professionals (2-4 FTEs) to design and execute events assigned to his/her portfolio. Lead the creation of a holistic guest experience for local and national events in his/her purview; this is inclusive of event planning, pre-event interactions, vendor relations, all on-site details, event program and preparation, and post-event follow-up.
- Create and track event budgets and revenue expectations in collaboration with the department or functional area funding the event. Ensure budget and revenue expectations are managed within established constraints and that exceptions are approved in an appropriate and timely manner.
- Communicate effectively with all event stakeholders, including colleagues, leadership, VIPs and others.
- Serve as an active and collaborative partner to all central and unit-based advancement functions and campus colleagues to foster strategic, effective, and collaborative practices.
- Model "One DU" citizenship.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- High degree of diplomacy and organizational savvy; able to partner with a wide variety of stakeholders
- Willingness to take initiative, keep a positive attitude, and maintain a professional demeanor
- High level of customer service skills, including demonstrated ability to understand and address the unique needs of wide variety of audiences
- Outstanding attention to detail and commitment to quality
- Working knowledge of development and engagement principles
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including verbal, written and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Adept at problem-solving, critical thinking, and using judgment in situations that that require sensitivity and tact
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience
- 3 years of experience in event management, including direct experience working with donors and/or high-profile guests
- Supervisory/management experience
- Experience managing fundraising events of varying size and complexity, including stewardship of event budgets exceeding $25,000+
- Experience managing events in a University or non-profit setting
- 5 years of experience in event management, including direct experience working with donors and/or high-profile guests
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) Wednesday, April 19, 2018
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
NOTE: The online system is limited to uploading 10 files. Please combine content if necessary to get all content uploaded.
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.