VA School Certifying Official - Student Financial Services
A leader in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, Azusa Pacific University is committed to excellence in higher education. Offering more than 100 associate's, bachelor's, master's, and doctoral programs on campus, online, and at six regional locations across Southern California, APU continues to be recognized annually as one of America's Best Colleges by U.S. News & World Report. APU is seeking employees who desire to engage in our thriving culture by cultivating community through professional interactions, demonstrating a posture of lifelong learning, and modeling Christ-like character. Working together, employees at APU commit to establishing a university atmosphere that is edifying to God and to one another.
For staff positions, please apply directly at: http://apustaffjobs.silkroad.com
APU is seeking employees who desire to engage in our thriving culture by cultivating community through professional interactions, demonstrating a posture of lifelong learning, and modeling Christ-like character. Working together, employees at APU commit to establishing a university atmosphere that is edifying to God and to one another.
The VA Certifying Official is responsible for processing VA benefits. This person acts as a representative of the institution responsible for certifying U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (USDVA) and California Department of Veterans Affairs (CDVA) education and vocational rehabilitation benefits for eligible students. Serves as a point of contact for potential students who inquire about VA Benefits, as well as supporting and educating other departments on campus about VA benefits policies and guidelines.
- Bachelor's degree in related field required.
- Two to three years' professional experience preferably working with veterans benefits in a higher education setting.
- Prior military experience or experience serving military personnel and dependents strongly preferred.
- Experience in a high volume customer service unit in higher education strongly preferred.
- Experience with serving special populations on a college campus is strongly preferred.
- Excellent knowledge of FERPA and college records and registration policies and procedures preferred.
- Experience with working in high pressure environments while maintaining a high level of attention to detail.
- Ability for independent decision making informed by an appropriate awareness of risk management factors.
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
- Fulfills essential administrative functions within the MVEB Office, assists in the development and implementation of MVEB policies and procedures, assists in overseeing and training student workers.
- Processes certifications for all military benefit programs APU participates in, including but not limited to: Chapter 31, Chapter 33, and Military Tuition Assistance. Authorizes benefits and coordinates VA payments for veterans, eligible dependents, survivors, and reservists with all Student Financial Services departments across the university in accordance with regulatory guidelines and APU policies.
- Acts as a primary liaison between the university and all military benefit offices (such as the VA, CSAAVE, and DOD).
- Conducts MVEB activities in accordance with and in compliance with all rules and regulations contained in the VA School Certifying Official Handbook as well as any other guidance issued from other regulatory bodies.
- Adheres to and is knowledgeable on appropriate guidelines relating to FERPA and university policy on the release of records and information to a third party.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining essential communication and outreach activities for the MVEB office with both internal and external constituencies: ensuring all communications align with MVEB's customer service philosophy.
- Manages initial veteran's prospective and current student inquiries and information requests in all forms, including in-person, voicemail, e-mail and correspondence.
- Attends and represents APU at WAVES conference and regional VA conferences as requested.
- Required to work one Saturday commencement event (Winter or Spring) a calendar year.
- Other tasks and special projects as assigned by the Associate Director.
- Committed to a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values diversity.
- Support, affirm, and sustain the beliefs, values, and mission of the university in all facets of one's role and through the university's daily living expectations.
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
Click below to discover some of the many benefits APU employees enjoy including competitive health care options, an 8% retirement match, and a generous tuition discount.
You can learn more about APU by watching the stories of faculty, staff, and alumni as they carry out our mission here: http://www.apu.edu/stories/
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check on all final candidates.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.