Assistant Department Manager
The Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures (LLC) at the University of Massachusetts Amherst is seeking an Assistant Department Manager. The Assistant Department Manager, under the direction of the Department Manager, will support the administrative operations of the department. This individual will assist in providing oversight and coordination of human resources, financial and physical plant activities for the largest department in the College of Humanities and Fine Arts (CHFA). The Assistant Department Manager will serve as immediate supervisor for clerical staff, providing work assignments, managing performance expectations, dealing proactively with trouble areas, and delegating administrative responsibilities.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- Associate's degree in Business Administration, Human Resources, Psychology, or in a field relevant to the work of the department (e.g., language, literature, international studies) with three years of related experience or equivalent combination of education, training and experience;
- Two years of supervisory experience, with strong skills in organizing administrative activities and motivating staff;
- Demonstrated experience working with administrative software, e.g., PeopleSoft;
- Demonstrated knowledge of personnel and fiscal management procedures;
- Ability to work effectively under pressure with a high degree of independence, competent judgment and initiative;
- Excellent problem solving skills and ability to work collaboratively;
- Ability to carry out assignments in a timely manner, balancing the demands of concurrent and potentially competing projects;
- Excellent writing and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to interact effectively with a diverse population of staff, faculty, students, and off-campus constituents;
- Advanced computer usage skills, including desktop publishing, email, spreadsheets, word processing, and databases.
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Human Resources, Psychology, or in a field relevant to the work of the department (e.g., language, literature, international studies) with two years of related experience.
PROFESSIONAL STAFF SALARY ADMINISTRATION PROGRAM POSITION LEVEL 25.
Salary Range: $38,000-$57,200. Normal Hiring Range: $38,000-$42,800.
On campus applicants are defined as Amherst campus, non-student employees.
To apply, submit a cover letter, résumé, and the names and contact information for three professional references to:
Please apply by the priority deadline of April 30, 2018 to ensure consideration. Applications may be accepted after the priority date until a suitable candidate pool has been identified.
The University of Massachusetts is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, the University of Massachusetts is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the University of Massachusetts to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.