Associate Director of Student Health Center
Job ID: 24509
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3306
Department: Student Health Center
Classification: Administrator III
Anticipated Hiring Salary: Commensurate with experience
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
*Qualified applicants with Nursing or Medical Degree are encouraged to apply.*
Reporting to and in consultation with the SHC Director, the Associate Director provides leadership and management functions for the delivery of high quality, low risk clinic operations and health services. The incumbent provides consultative leadership for two to three of the following teams and Team Leads: Clinicians, Nurses, and Allied Health. Also provides guidance campus community regarding opportunities to improve community wellness and plans for emergency (medical) response. This position oversees collection and analysis of data related to all services and organizes SHC's preparation and response to our triennial, external program review. Participates as a member of the SHC Leadership Team, at times serving as Acting SHC Director in Director's absence. Coordinates student health services with other campus units as well as community health providers. Supports and develops coordination of comprehensive services with Counseling, Allied Health, Behavior Invention Team, and the Confidential Sexual Assault Coordinator, along with other campus partners. As needed provides reports, workshops, consultation, supervision, and crisis response. Provides training, support, and updates to the professional staff regarding effective application of program aims. This position provides leadership for the developing, maintaining, and applying extensive policies and procedures for campus, CSU, State, and Federal regulations and laws. Limited evening or weekend work may be required. If licensed, this position may be involved in the direct provision of health service.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Meets regularly with providers, nurses, allied health, and administrative staff (also as needed w any external stakeholders) to review appropriate organizational support, work load, effectiveness
- Oversees development and implementation of staffing schedules and scope of service to support respectful work environment, effective use of resources, and good accessibility for students
- Facilitates leadership of clinical/health service committees; reviews and guides development and implementation of service policies, procedures, and programs
- Encourages and reviews student feedback on services, organizing appropriate organizational response (modeling SHC as responsive, learning organization)
- Oversees and coordinates continuous, department quality assurance efforts
- Conducts research and evaluation in order to provide responsive, sustainable services (attending to Risk, and affiliate internal/external stakeholders), and a annual review and summary
- Develops practical utilization of existing IT resources to facilitate effective services an ongoing access to data
- Partners with other CSU (and UC) SHCs to develop best practice Benchmarking of data
- Works with internal and campus stakeholders initiating review and re-development of SHC response to urgent campus occurrences or major community emergencies, including coordination of health staff (may include incident debriefings, critical review, analysis, psychiatric hospitalization, consultation with community members, follow-up)
- If licensed, serves as clinical consultant with other licensed staff and campus community, especially issues related to standards of practice and scope of practice.
- Guides ongoing quality improvement, and continuous responsiveness to standards demonstrated by CSU (and UC) student health services and the every 3 year external program review structured by Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC)
- Ensures development and application of policies and procedures that create a safe and secure work environment (partnering with FD&O, EHS, A&F, UPD, etc.)
- If licensed, provides clinical supervision for appropriated staff / teams
- If licensed, provides direct health services for students
- If licensed, directly oversees clinical work performance of medical staff
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field
- 3 years of managing and leading in healthcare context
- Master's Degree and/or Professional License
- Experience developing, organizing, and leading effective teams of medical staff
- Experience initiating and providing organizational analysis, assessment, problem solving, and quality improvement
- Experience guiding effective use of EHR
- Experience supporting or providing comprehensive services to young adults (eg, College Health), including a "whole person" approach
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to lead and manage others
- Knowledge of and experience with clinical and personnel applications of various aspects of diversity (e.g., sexual orientation, transgender, religious practices, differing abilities, racial, ethnic, etc.)
- Ability to maintain dignity and self-control in difficult situations
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities needing parallel attention
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to be sensitive and responsive to student needs
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions; to interpret a variety of technical instructions in a mathematical (including probability, inference, fraction, percentages, ratios, and proportions) or diagrammatic form and to deal with multiple variables
- Strong management skills to supervise and train staff, including organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments; employee development and performance management skills
- Extensive related administrative and supervisory experience, including training, supervising, and motivating staff
- Strong leadership skills to effectively manage change and resolve complex problems independently
- Ability to exercise initiative, flexibility, good judgement, and discretion
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to assimilate from oral and written sources, a broad knowledge of CSU and agency policies and procedures and apply them consistently
- Ability to assimilate, interpret, and apply complex administrative policies and procedures
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Advanced knowledge of administration and management protocol
- Ability to appropriately develop and conduce staff training
April 4, 2018
Application Screening begins April 25, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046