Director of Development, College of Engineering and Applied Science
The College of Engineering and Applied Science (CEAS) at the University of Colorado at Boulder is inviting applications for a Director of Development. The Director coordinates, directs, and implements development activities within CEAS. This position manages a portfolio of prospects and carries out the institution's program of soliciting major gifts. The Director may lead a particular fundraising activity or be responsible for a geographic region and work directly with the dean and greater Advancement team. Demonstrated success in raising gifts over $100,000 is desired.
Who we are:
Founded in 1893, the College of Engineering and Applied Science (CEAS) at the University of Colorado Boulder is the second largest of seven schools and colleges at one of the nation's top public research institutions. The college's mission is to generate new knowledge in engineering and related fields, and to equip students from diverse backgrounds to become leaders and citizens responsible for the betterment of individuals and society. Our vision is to be a recognized world leader for excellence and innovation in engineering research and education, with an emphasis on inclusive excellence, active learning and global society.
CEAS seeks an experienced professional to join our Advancement team. This position is part of a professional and high-performing advancement team that generates philanthropic support and overall external engagement for the college. Through these philanthropic and engagement efforts, the college is able to attract the brightest students, support and grow our talented faculty and strengthen our overall academic and co-curricular programs as we build a foundation of excellence for the future of the College of Engineering and Applied Science, CU Boulder, and the state of Colorado.
What your key responsibilities will be:
- Works to cultivate existing and new donor (individual or foundation) relationships with the intent of sustaining and increasing the relationship with the donor.
- Portfolio Management: Manages portfolio consisting of a minimum of 100 prospects. Goals relating to personal contacts, number of proposed gifts, grants, and prospect identification to be set with and approved by management. Goals for number of planned giving donations will be established with management.
- Develops and manages portfolios of individual prospects capable of making significant gifts in order to secure major gift commitments (at least $25K). Plans and implements programs that include measurable targets for each fiscal year (e.g., personal visits, stewardship activities, solicitations).
- Works closely with University of Colorado (CU) faculty (may work directly with dean of school or college); and works directly with volunteers daily to develop and implement fundraising strategies in order to meet established goals and objectives. Facilitates productive relationships daily between donors and CU administrators, faculty and staff to ensure effectiveness of programs.
- Works daily to ensure timely, accurate completion of proposals, pledges and fund agreements. Documents prospect strategies and contact reports, evaluates new prospects and generates stewardship reports and general correspondence daily to cultivate major gift prospects.
- Represents the college at University events in order to support the University and cultivate donors.
What you should know:
This position requires the ability to travel up to 50% of the time, domestically and within the state of Colorado.
What we can offer:
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be innovative. Be effective. Be visionary. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
- Minimum of 5 years of top level, successful fundraising experience.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Products; MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; donor tracking software (BSR helpful).
What you will need:
- Expert knowledge of major gift fundraising techniques and a proven track record in a university of similar environment.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and in writing, and ability to develop and maintain interpersonal relationships.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to handle sensitive information discretely and maintain confidentiality.
- Solid ability to organize and manage multiple projects/tasks simultaneously; must have ability to work independently and collaboratively, and adapt to changing priorities.
- Knowledge of current issues facing public universities and interests of assigned school, students, faculty, and alumni.
- Capacity to recruit and manage activities of volunteer staff.
- Ability to cultivate and solicit donations from individuals at leadership gift level.
What we'd like you to have:
- Graduate degree in related field.
- Familiarity with donor tracking software such as Advance, by BSR.
- Demonstrated experience in raising gifts of $100,000 or more.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by April 18, 2018 If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-12907.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Development
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 11007 - UCB Development Administration
Posting Date: Apr 4, 2018
Closing Date: Apr 18, 2018, 10:59:00 PM
Position Number: 00744475