The College of Media, Communication and Information (CMCI) welcomes applications for two Department Assistants to provide administrative and faculty support. These roles support purchasing and travel, department faculty affairs processes, financial process and budget tracking and course scheduling for the Advertising, Public Relations and Media Design (APRD) department and Media Studies in the College of Media, Communication and Information.
Who we are:
The College of Media, Communication and Information (CMCI) was founded in 2015 to address revolutionary change in the way people communicate, the tools they use and the impact that change has on society. The new college has six departments that offer undergraduate and graduate degrees: the Department of Advertising, Public Relations and Media Design; the Department of Communication; the Department of Critical Media Practices; the Department of Information Science; the Department of Journalism and the Department of Media Studies. In addition, there is a graduate program in Intermedia Art, Writing and Performance. The college's interdisciplinary approach unites students and faculty from these seven academic specialties to solve emerging problems in the ever-changing world of communication and technology.
CMCI has attracted strong interest from prospective students and now enrolls over 1,800 undergraduate and graduate students, is home to five centers and labs and a growing faculty. Since the inception of the college in the fall of 2015, over 40 new faculty across all departments have been hired, which has provided the opportunity to re-envision the curriculum and capitalize on relationships with new educational and industry partners.
As the flagship university in the state of Colorado, CU-Boulder is a dynamic community of scholars and learners situated on one of the most spectacular college campuses in the country. As one of 34 U.S. public institutions belonging to the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU) - and the only member in the Rocky Mountain region - we have a proud tradition of academic excellence, with five Nobel laureates and more than 50 members of prestigious academic academies.
What your key responsibilities will be:
Administrative Support to Department, Chair and Faculty
- Assists with the coordination of academic scheduling and course offerings for the department.
- Works with department colleagues to build all courses in CU-SIS, compile instructor schedule requirements, perform class updates, advise and prepare course revision forms, and manage wait lists.
- Assists faculty and approved visitors in travel arrangements.
- Makes equipment and supply purchases.
- Schedules rooms, helps manage department and chair's calendar(s).
- Supervises student hourly employees. Makes recommendations on staffing needs and hiring decisions within budgets determined by department chairs.
- Develops procedures for department event coordination and management.
- Secures appropriate venue and arranges for receptions and catering. Provides on-site event assistance as necessary.
Department Faculty Affairs Processes
- Supports faculty search and recruitment.
- Provides administrative support to search committees, arranges travel and scheduling for interviews and assists with onboarding.
- Tracks key dates on faculty appointments and coordinates annual Faculty Affairs processes for the department.
- Organizes and maintains departmental records, reviews and implements university record retention policies.
- Greets, directs and addresses questions and concerns of visitors, students and faculty via phone and email.
- Troubleshoots office copiers and maintains office supplies inventory.
What you should know:
We are hiring for 2 positons in different departments.
What we can offer:
The anticipated starting salary for this position is $41,496.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be supportive. Be professional. Be collaborative. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Three years of general clerical experience. At the agency's discretion, college or university course work, appropriate to the work assignment, may substitute for the experience on a year-for-year basis.
What we'd like you to have:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution.
- Knowledge of CU financial and travel systems.
- Experience working with faculty and students in a university environment.
- Event coordination experience.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by April 16, 2018.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Click here to view Special Instructions and General Information for Veterans and Classified Staff positions.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
Must include date ranges and whether full time or part time work.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
3. DD-214 for veteran applicants.
4. If using the educational substitution for experience: proof of degree or transcripts.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-12845.
Please do not upload references at this time. Special instructions and information for Classified Staff positions: www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
Job Category: Administrative Support and Related
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 11053 - Advertising, PR & Media Design
Posting Date: Apr 4, 2018
Closing Date: Apr 16, 2018, 10:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00728989