Casual - Lab Assistant
Requisition # 2018-8638
Department Prn Inst F/T Sci & Tech of Mat
Category Research and Laboratory
Full-Time / Part-Time Temporary
Application Deadline 5/4/2018
This casual hourly position is to support the overall operations of the Princeton Institute for the Science and Technology of Materials (PRISM) MicroNano Fabrication Lab (MNFL). Duties include but are not limited to general facility support, stocking of supplies, generating documentation and compiling user reports.
The MNFL is Princeton's central share-use fabrication facility with over 10,000 sq. ft. of clean room space, housing a large complement of tools dedicated to materials fabrication, packaging and processing across all length scales. The facility supports researchers from academic and industry and plays a critical role in PRISM's research and educational mission.
- Conducting standard equipment process checks, performing analysis of generated data.
- Performing equipment repair and routine maintenance; generating and updating SOPs and process flows.
- Taking notes & create documentation that can serve as a detailed and useful future reference guide.
- Checking chemical inventory, and restocking. Removing solid and liquid hazardous waste from hoods. Refilling solvent bottles.
- Bachelor degree or equivalent experience.
- Programming experience with Python and/or Django is a plus.
- Demonstrable experience (beyond HS coursework) in any of the following: science, engineering, electronics, mechanical work, or trades work (electrical/plumbing).
- General familiarity with laboratory equipment and safety protocol.
- Excellent written & verbal English communications skills.
- Ability to use standard MS office package (Word/Excel/Powerpoint), Windows OS.
- Ability to function as part of a team in a dynamic environment.
- Prior experience working with hazardous chemicals in a laboratory setting is a plus.
- Experience maintaining & repairing complex physical equipment is a plus (cars, power tools, etc.)
- Ability to lift 50lbs.
Be advised that you will be contacted only if there is further interest in your application. The candidate dashboard will not display status updates for this requisition.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Estimated Appointment End Date
Comments Related to End Date
based on need - could be six months or longer
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Princeton University requires some candidates to complete a physical capacity exam successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of physical capacity exam may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Princeton University is a residential community and an employer that operates continuously 24 hours a day. Essential services employees perform jobs that are necessary and required to maintain basic University operations during scheduled closures or unscheduled suspension of normal operations due to emergencies, events, or other situations. Essential services employees may be asked and/or required to perform jobs or duties that fall outside of their normal job classification during an emergency event. Learn more about our Essential Services policy.
Go to our careers site.