Administrative Assistant II
At Western Governors University we are building the technology to redefine how individuals can gain the knowledge and skills required to achieve their goals and objectives. We leverage technology to create an exemplary student experience for on-line, competency-based education which is independent of time and place. If you are passionate about education, and want to be part of an innovative, high-tech university, that serves students in a unique way, this job is for you. Join us if you want to be part of something very special.
The Administrative Assistant is a key position that reports directly to the VP of Product Management and will work closely with the departmental leaders to proactively identify important needs and support university/departmental strategic initiatives. The individual in this position will act as an extension of the VP as well as other areas of Western Governors University (WGU) to provide support with project goals and deliverables to meet business needs and future growth.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
The Administrative Assistant will be responsible for a range of activities and results, including:
- Act as point of contact between Product Management leaders and employees and /or external candidates/vendors
- Prepare and produce presentations
- Maintain Vice President's schedule and that of the departments by planning and scheduling meetings, conferences, teleconferences and team activities
- Lead, coordinate, assist with, and report on projects, including, but not limited to, project tracking and follow up, milestone management, data analyzation, preparation of communications
- Reconciliation of invoices and monthly expense statements to ensure we manage within budget
- Correspond with and prepare travel for high level candidates up to and including interview schedules and follow-up
- Manage bi-annual departmental events, other organizational events and employee perk programs within budget and to achieve stated objectives
- Provide ad hoc departmental support with varying projects;
- Manage mail duties of departments, which may include the shipping, receiving, and handling of packets, packages, and other related receivables.
- Other duties as assigned
Influences Others and Communicates Effectively: Communicates to improve and promote teamwork, decision making and problem solving. Listens and responds effectively to the reactions and positions of others and encourages the expression of diverse ideas and opinions. Adjusts message and style to fit the audience. Provides timely and helpful feedback. Communicates appropriately to win support of all.
Collaborates: Works cooperatively with other across the organization to achieve shared objectives. Represents own interests while being fair to others and their areas. Partners with others to get work done. Credits others for their contributions and accomplishments. Gains buy-in, trust and support of others.
Manages Ambiguity: Deals comfortably with the uncertainty of change. Effectively handles risk. Can decide and act without the total picture. Is calm and productive, even when things are up in the air. Deals constructively with problems that do not have clear solutions or outcomes.
Is Resilient: Is confident under pressure. Handles and manages crises effectively. Maintains a positive attitude despite adversity. Bounces back from obstacles and setbacks. Grows from hardships and negative experiences.
Drives for Results: Has a strong outcomes-based orientation. Persists in accomplishing objectives despite obstacles and setbacks. Has a track record of successfully exceeding goals. Pushes self and others to achieve results to positively impact WGU and our students. Has a continuous improvement mindset.
Builds Effective Teams: Forms teams with appropriate and diverse mix of styles, perspectives, and experience. Establishes common objectives and a shared mindset. Creates a team that works well cross-functionally.
Organizational Learning: Learns quickly when facing new situations. Experiments to find new solutions and enhance the student experience. Takes on the challenge of unfamiliar tasks. Extracts lessons learned from failures and mistakes. Expands knowledge through ongoing curiosity.
- Efficient – organized with great attention to detail and follow through
- Strong listening, written and verbal communication skills – ability to articulate concepts and ideas effectively with minimal supervision. This could involve preparing communications representing the Vice President
- Ability to empathize with individuals when approached for help in situational circumstances
- Ability to work with confidential information and to apply maturity and discretion in daily operational role
- Demonstrates exceptional judgement and personal leadership in all situations, including a high level of discretion and professionalism
- Comprehensive thinker – can infer and identify the many related items and actions relating to a project or request – digs deep when needed – assimilates new information quickly
- Analytical skills – ability to review and summarize data to identify trends and themes as well as potential solutions and next steps
- Ability to shift focus, multi-task, and prioritize in a rapidly changing environment and with multiple deadline-driven priorities
- Experience working in a distributed environment
- Results oriented - has a strong sense of ownership of tasks, including follow through
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel (i.e., pivot tables, etc.), web-based communication protocols
- Practical knowledge of importing and verifying data for use in reports, spreadsheets, graphs, and/or flow charts
- Effective project management and time management skills
- Other duties as assigned by Product Management Vice President
- 3-5 years of high level administrative experience, preferably working in an executive assistant capacity and/or human resources related experience
- Project coordination/management experience and/or certification desired
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States