Director of Higher Education Opportunity Program
Job Title: HEOP Director
Reports To: Director of Disability Services
Status: Exempt, Full Time
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise the HEOP program with an emphasis in the areas of program management, financial aid, program admissions and student development.
- Maintain student records and submit evaluative data for state and institutional reports in a timely manner.
- Serve as the primary academic advisor, in conjunction with each student’s faculty advisor, for all program students as outlined in the HEOP RFP guidelines. Counsel students in academic, financial, residential and/or social matters as needed.
- Initiate and coordinate activities to promote program retention and student development, as appropriate.
- Organize the recruitment and student admissions process in collaboration with the Office of Admissions and the Student Financial Services Office.
- Serve as a resource to students concerning financial aid and student account matters and assist them in the online completion of all federal and state financial aid paperwork requirements.
- Support the academic counselor’s efforts in coordinating the economic eligibility process while cultivating a good working relationship with the Office of Financial Aid staff.
- Plan and coordinate, the HEOP Summer Academic Institute, a 4-5 week bridge program designed to prepare pre-freshmen for college life
- Complete other duties as assigned, including occasional evening and weekend responsibilities.
- Actively support the mission of Mount Saint Mary College, which provides a liberal arts education in the Catholic and Dominican intellectual tradition.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution (Master’s degree preferred).
- Work experience in an opportunity program or a social services organization that serves a similar student population.
- A general understanding of student retention theory and the needs of first-generation college students from historically disadvantaged backgrounds.
- Proficiency in MS Office suite, email, and internet software.
- A degree in higher education management/student services, counseling or social work is preferred, and the ability to speak Spanish is preferred.