Police Dispatcher 499605
Police Dispatcher 499605
Position Type: Staff
Position Number: 499605
Department: Police Department
Job Summary/Basic Function:
Employees in this classification are responsible for the general operation of the Communications Center. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Support Services Sergeant and may require work at night and on weekends.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Operate department two-way radio equipment and maintain radio logs
* Answer telephone and give out information
* Determine when information received requires emergency action and relay such information to the necessary patrol units
* Coordinate police, fire, ambulance and other emergency requests
* Monitor alarm systems to detect unauthorized entry to University buildings
* Operate computer terminals
* Experience or training to perform duties of the job.
* Ability to read and interpret departmental laws, regulations, special departmental orders, polices and written reports
* Knowledge of operating computer equipment
* Knowledge of operating two-way radio equipment
* Willingness to work at night, weekends, and to report for duty during emergency situations.
* Graduation from an accredited high school, or a G.E.D.
* Must attend and successfully complete a 40 hour basic certification school as determined by the Texas Commission of Law Enforcement Standards and Education within one (1) year after appointment
* Must attend and successfully complete a 40 hour TLETS - Basic Telecommunications and TCIC/NCIC procedure school as determined by the Texas D.P.S. within one (1) year after appointment
* Must be able to deal tactfully with the public. Must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff, students, and the public. Must comply with established University standards and policies
* Must be able to stand rigid character investigation
* Must have the ability to exercise a certain degree of independent judgement and to promote good public relations
* Must have the ability to speak and write clearly and accurately
Security Sensitive Statement:
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.
Posting Date: 04/03/2018
Open Until Filled: Yes
To apply, visit https://jobs.lamar.edu/.
Lamar University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of Lamar University not to discriminate on the basis of non-relevant criteria including, but not limited to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status in its educational programs, activities, admissions or employment practices.