Director of Direct Marketing
The university is excited to be approaching its $1B goal in the Campaign for William & Mary For the Bold! Funds raised in this campaign will ensure that William & Mary continues to do what it does best: educate and inspire students of great talent and promise and prepare them to lead lives of principled achievement. To that end, we aspire to:
- Strengthen alumni engagement.
- Achieve 40 percent alumni participation by 2020.
- Raise $1 billion.
The Office of Lifetime Philanthropic Engagement & Annual Giving and the Director of Direct Marketing play a vital role in the campaign and securing private support for W&M.
The Director of Direct Marketing reports to the Associate Vice President for Lifetime Philanthropic Engagement & Annual Giving and manages a team of 5 professionals. The position builds strategy for, leads and oversees Direct Marketing, Phonathon, and Constituent Area Programs and is responsible for drafting and maintaining the annual production plan on behalf of the department to address all mass communication and solicitation needs.
The Director is also responsible for the development of new and fostering of current partnerships spanning the university for the purpose of enhancing annual giving best practices and standards.
Specific responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Develops and implements effective direct mail, telephone, electronic and new media strategies.
- Coordinates solicitation timing with constituent partners and the marketing and communication needs on behalf of the Office of Lifetime Philanthropic Engagement & Annual Giving.
- Serves as internal project manager for direct marketing projects handled by direct mail vendors and in-house projects. This includes setting timelines, managing workflow, tracking project progress, and identifying and resolving road blocks.
- Oversees and strategize bench-marking, measurements and reporting utilizing state-of-the art annual giving techniques and analytics to maximize efficiencies and results. Provides essential analysis for key stake-holders and partners for the purpose of reporting and future planning.
- Prepares and manages relevant program budget lines. Analyze budgets for strategic use, transparency and future programming.
Bachelor’s degree with progressively responsible professional experience directly related to the position.
- Strategic vision and demonstrated ability to create, develop and manage a complex and sophisticated production plan, to include multiple outlets and avenues. Proven ability and desire to reach aggressive goals.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with a dedicated commitment to team work and ability to work collaboratively with colleagues from across the institution.
- Knowledge of donor/constituent database systems.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to analyze data, extract meaningful conclusions, and report findings.
- Strong writing skills with the ability to draft a production plan and mass communications.
- High level of independence and ability to work effectively with minimal supervision, while managing multiple relationships and complex projects concurrently.
- Substantive, progressively responsible experience in academic fundraising or a related field regarding direct marketing and communication.
- Demonstrated experience in production management and marketing.
An Advanced Degree (preferably a Master’s degree) in business, communications or other related field.
- Demonstrated management experience.
- Significant experience in academic fundraising or a related field regarding direct marketing and communication.
- Experience in annual giving, direct marketing, with production management experience within a higher education setting.
William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.