Faculty & Field Coordinator in Social Work
FRESNO PACIFIC UNIVERSITY
Faculty and Field Coordinator in Social Work
POSITION: Full-time, with faculty rank; non-continuing status track, limited term (1-2 year) clinical position; 11-month faculty appointment in the School of Humanities, Religion, and Social Sciences.
STARTING DATE: July 1, 2018
The FPU Social Work program seeks to prepare undergraduate students for careers in the helping professions. The program offers a traditional undergraduate, as well as a degree completion (evening) program in social work. Working closely with the Social Work Program Co-Directors, the successful candidate will coordinate and facilitate supervision of field placements in Fresno and the north Valley (multiple campuses).
- Maintain professional memberships and professional development;
- Oversee field instruction in Social Work in the traditional undergraduate and degree-completion programs (approximately 30% TUG and 70% DC);
- Enhance student learning by guiding robust field instruction;
- Work with local social work agencies to develop appropriate generalist professional field internships for program majors which connect theoretical and conceptual contribution of the classroom to the practice setting;
- Identify and supervise field instructors in agencies providing learning opportunities for students that foster the implementation of evidence-informed practice;
- Evaluate students’ demonstration of mastery of core competencies in the field;
- Represent the program and university at community and professional meetings;
- Comply with CSWE program guidelines for Baccalaureate-level programs;
- Teach social work classes as assigned.
- Minimum requirement: MSW from a CSWE accredited university;
- Ability to utilize professional connections in the community to develop appropriate field internships and new partnerships with community agencies;
- Mentor and supervise students and field instructors;
- Mentor and advise social work majors (as well as general education students);
- Minimum five years of experience in a specific area of social work practice, usually including a Field Instructor role or Task Supervisor of Interns;
- Teaching experience with traditional and adult learners;
- Knowledge of technology / learning-management systems;
- Provide positive leadership and restorative discipline for students;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Commitment to the integration of faith and life;
- Familiarity with the Latino community, as well as the ethnic and socio-economic diversity of the Central Valley;
- Agreement with the mission of the university and ability to effectively communicate its values;
- Knowledge of and commitment to NASW Values and Code of Ethics;
- Knowledge of and ability to meet CSWE program accreditation guidelines for field instruction;
- Commitment to the Christian faith and the University’s mission of Christ-centered teaching and learning and involvement in a local church.
- Terminal degree;
- LCSW certification;
- Record or promise of scholarly achievement;
- Skills in community outreach and collaboration;
- Self-starter who can work independently and collaboratively;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Membership in a Mennonite Brethren or Anabaptist congregation.
Fresno Pacific University offers undergraduate and graduate programs that stress solid academic preparation and a strong ethical foundation. Some 4,000 traditional and adult students attend classes on the main campus in southeast Fresno or centers in North Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield and Merced as well as online. The university also reaches about 10,000 students through professional development studies. FPU has the highest four-year graduation rate of any Central Valley college or university, is a Hispanic Serving Institution, with a Hispanic student population of 44 percent, and is one of the top 10 HSIs nationally in graduating Hispanic students. The Valley’s only comprehensive Christian university granting master’s degrees, the university is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and ranked in the top tier among western universities—master’s category by U.S. News & World Report. FPU is affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren Church, and all employees express a personal Christian commitment and support the Christian mission of the university. A description of the unique quality of FPU as an academic community can be found in the Fresno Pacific University Idea at fresno.edu/about/fpu_idea.
COMPENSATION: Dependent on qualifications and experience, and paid out over 12 months. Full-time benefits include insurance (medical, vision, dental, LTD), retirement (TIAA-CREF), Section 125 options.
APPLICATION: A faculty application is available at http://www.fresno.edu/visitors/careers - the link is in the job description on the FPU website.
Send a letter of application, a completed faculty application form (including personal statements), curriculum vita, three letters of reference (including one pastoral), and transcripts or placement file to:
Ron Herms, Ph.D.
Dean, School of HRSS
Fresno Pacific University
1717 S. Chestnut Avenue, Box 2301
Fresno, CA 93702
OR: email [email protected]
Fresno Pacific University is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, sex, age, or disability. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply.