Posting Number: R0001058
Location: Salem Campus
Attention Current Willamette University Employees: In order to apply for posted positions, please close this window and log into your Workday account and apply through the Career worklet.
Instructions for Applicants:
Please read the following carefully before beginning the online application process.
To be considered for employment at Willamette University, please complete our online employment application. Your application and all required attachments -- listed at the bottom of the page -- must be submitted for each individual job post that you are interested in applying for. If there is an application deadline, please ensure that your application is submitted by the deadline. Once you submit your application you will not be able to edit your application.
Position Summary:Responsible for the day to day supervision of Facilities Services Team Leaders and Crews. Provides oversight for assigned Campus custodial, housekeeping and event support functions within a Team oriented work atmosphere. In addition to providing supervision, this position is required to perform duties as a working member of the Facilities Services Team. Supervisors must exhibit a thorough knowledge of custodial procedures and methods in order to maintain all Campus facilities to Willamette University's high standard of cleanliness at all times. Works closely with the Facilities Services Support Manager and other Facilities Services Supervisors to inspect and document the cleanliness of all buildings on campus and make and/or request repairs as required.
- Is responsible for the supervision and technical direction of all Facilities Services crew members as assigned by the Facilities Services Support Manager to efficiently maintain all Campus facilities to the high level of cleanliness expected by the University.
- Works as a member of the Facilities Services Team to meet department goals including performing custodial, housekeeping and event support tasks when needed.
- Works closely with Facilities Services staff to insure efficient time management, safe work practices, building cleanliness and a positive work culture.
- Trains personnel in proper custodial methods, procedures and the safe use of equipment as assigned by the Facilities Services Support Manager.
- Will be required to routinely make on-the-spot decisions on supervisory issues and be able to handle emergency situations calmly and professionally.
- Will be required to coordinate with the University Service Center, the Facilities Services Support Manager and primary campus space occupants to provide timely housekeeping/custodial/event support services. Will be required to work closely with Summer Conference staff to accommodate scheduling requirements on building cleaning during summer conference operations.
- Keeps records of all materials used, takes delivery of/sorts/delivers supplies to all campus buildings.
- Makes weekly inspections of all assigned buildings and provides written reports on issues and conditions found. Provides regular written evaluations of assigned personnel, attends meetings related to Facilities Services as assigned by the Facilities Services Support Manager. Meets daily with the Facilities Services Support Manager to report problems and receive special instructions for the day.
- Ensures all employees practice safe work habits and informs the Facilities Services Support Manager of all reported or encountered safety violations and unsafe conditions. Schedules and conducts monthly safety meetings, maintains appropriate SDS sheets for all assigned buildings, and will assist in maintaining the SDS Master Set.
- Routinely inspects all equipment and immediately notifies the Facilities Services Support Manager of all equipment or facilities in need of repair or replacement. Routinely places work requests on the University work order system as required.
- Maintains a high degree of confidentiality and professionalism.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for personal actions.
- Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Organized - Possessing the trait of being organized or following a systematic method of performing a task.
- Tactful - Ability to show consideration for and maintain good relations with others.
- Time Management - Ability to utilize the available time to organize and complete work within given deadlines.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Education : Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a program emphasizing custodial supervision and duties or any combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the position. College degree or course work preferred, but not required.
Abilities: Able to work for extended periods of time while standing and walking and while exposed to dirt, infectious waste, obnoxious odors, dim-lighting and inclement weather. Able to complete assigned duties in a timely manner. Able to routinely inspect all buildings assigned and create written reports on conditions and issues found. Able to oversee crew routines and revise schedules as required. Able to evaluate custodial chemicals and equipment used in work areas and ensure all staff are fully trained on the use of each. Able to handle emergency situations effectively and calmly. Able to supervise in a Team based custodial operation. Must have computer skills to effectively correspond to emails and utilize spreadsheets.
Knowledge: Must be fully experienced in proper cleaning methods, materials, and operation and maintenance of custodial equipment, including repair work. Must have a working knowledge of all hazards and safety precautions of the trade including Hazardous Communication Rules, Willamette University Safe Working Policies, and OR-OSHA rules and regulations. Must have a working knowledge of the various proper methods for flooring and carpet care. Must be familiar with recycling programs and other sustainable efforts. Must have a strong working knowledge of HR rules for supervising employees and be able to properly handle HR issues with assigned staff.
Experience: Five years Custodial experience required. Previous Custodial Supervisor experience
As the Facilities Services Supervisor you may be required to frequently and safely lift objects weighing up to 50 pounds. Ability to work from ladders and grids up to 50 feet in height and catwalks suspended from a ceiling. Ability to work extra hours, alternative shifts and flexible hours as needed. Have the ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written English. An employer-paid pre-placement physical required. This position is subject to a criminal conviction record check. Has the ability to work without direct supervision as well as establish and maintain harmonious relations with other staff, faculty and students.
Apply online at https://willamette.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/willametteuniversityjobs/job/Salem-Campus/Facilities-Supervisor_R0001058
Believing that diversity contributes to academic excellence and to rich and rewarding communities, WU is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body. We seek candidates, particularly those from historically under-represented groups, whose work furthers diversity and who bring to campus varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds.