Manager, PrintFX/Fabrication Lab
About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), an internationally renowned college of art and design, business and technology, of the State University of New York, invites nominations and applications for a Manager, PrintFX/Fabrication Lab.
The position of Manager for PrintFX and FabLab, reports to the Technology Resources Manager within the Division of Information Technology. The Manager supports the production and quality printing needs of the students, as well as the faculty throughout the college. The Manager will lead and develop a team of staff to handle the day-to-day operations, as well as strategically define approaches for providing an optimal amount of production 3D printing and digital output across FIT campus locations. There are roughly 10,000 transactions a year in the PrintFX/Fablab facility with each transaction potentially printing multiple 2D or 3D files.
Duties and Responsibilities
Manages the day-to-day operation, as well as contribute to the overall strategic vision for the PrintFX and the Fabrication Lab. Provide the College with a variety of printing services including; large format and desktop digital printing, fabric printing, 3D printing, vinyl cutting, laser cutting, bookbinding, and design services. The position also manages and maintains a 3D self-service lab for FIT students, faculty, and departments.
- Lead and mentor staff members including full-time, part-time staff, and student workers. Assure that staff remain current with changes in technology and implement a staff development plan.
- Maintain all equipment in PrintFX and FabLab, as well as help support 3D printers in other areas of the College, make recommendations for new equipment purchases, removal of old equipment, establish and maintain relationships with vendors to understand product roadmaps, ensure proper equipment warranties and maintenance contracts are kept current and budgeted for.
- Implement, schedule, and coordinate production workflow of the many services provided such as digital paper and fabric printing, 3D printing, vinyl cutting, laser cutting, bookbinding, and design services.
- Assure high standards of quality control and adherence to production deadlines.
- Manage the service desk providing a top-notch customer service experience for students, staff and faculty.
- Manage and support the self-service 3D lab assisting students and faculty as needed.
- Oversee supply inventory, create reports, manage and approve timesheets, create schedules for personnel, and update and develop order forms and instructional handouts.
- Coordinate with appropriate departments in creating and editing video for PrintFX/Fablab departmental web pages and for instructional or promotional purposes. Develop and update department web pages, social media, blogs, etc.
- Coordinate with faculty to provide support and supplies needed for course work or special student projects.
- Assist Technology Resources Manager with creation and support of special events across the campus.
- Assist manager with budget analysis, marketing strategies, research and development, staff development and special projects.
- Oversee and report on utilization statistics and quantity of services rendered; maintain accurate production logs.
- Manage budgetary actions and approvals.
Required Worker Characteristics
- Demonstrated record of fostering teamwork, collegiality, relationship building, and mentoring;
- Demonstrated ability to handle quick judgement calls under high pressure; prioritize tasks under rapid fire;
- Demonstrated problem solver; ability to understand and determine root cause and propose effective and creative solutions;
- Demonstrated experience to manage and roll-out multiple projects on a strict deadline and budget.
- Demonstrated experience to troubleshoot software, hardware and network problems. Must have experience in creating workflows and maintaining quality control systems.
- Knowledge of technology trends within a higher education setting.
Bachelor's degree required, preferably in an art and design related discipline.
Minimum of five years of experience in a fabrication and print production environment with expertise in digital output, color management, 3D printing, and laser cutting.
Minimum of three years of employee management experience providing direct support to a large (2000+) client base. Must have experience in creating and conducting workshops and creating instructional materials. Must be able to work in both Macintosh and Windows environments. Preferred experience working in a higher education setting.
Department: PrintFX/FabLab, Division of Information Technology
Supervisor: Jana Duda, Technology Resources Manager
Days/Hours: 35 hrs/wk: Monday ? Friday, as scheduled by department.
Schedule subject to change based on the needs of the Department.
Salary: Schedule 96
In order to be considered for the position, you must submit the following documents online:
* Cover letter
* A list of three references with telephone numbers and email addresses
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact each applicant individually regarding his or her application status.
For more information about FIT, please visit FIT's website at: http://www.fitnyc.edu
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212 217.3360, firstname.lastname@example.org.