Post Doctoral Scientist
I. DEPARTMENT INFORMATION
Job Description Summary:
The Lill lab investigates the ecology and evolution of plant-insect interactions. We are seeking a postdoctoral associate to collaborate with the PI in planning and conducting original field and laboratory research related to terrestrial arthropod food webs. The postdoctoral associate will be performing original data analysis/interpretation and will take the lead on producing collaborative scientific publications. Assist in supervising and mentoring undergraduate and graduate researchers in the laboratory of Dr. John Lill. The position is based out of the Foggy Bottom campus.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Data collection/entry and statistical analyses of existing plant-insect herbivore-natural enemy interaction webs using the bipartite package in R.
- Production of figures and manuscript preparation.
- Mounting, labeling, and identifying and vouchering insect specimens.
- Collaborating with taxonomic experts at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History to obtain insect identifications.
- Data management and archiving of metadata.
- Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a PhD in a related discipline. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the positionAdditional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
- Ph.D. and/or postdoctoral experience in insect ecology and multitrophic interactions.
- Familiar with data analysis using R and have a working knowledge of the Bipartite package.
- Experience with data archiving and metadata helpful.
- A proven track record of successful publication in ecological and entomological journals.
- Experience designing and conducting field research projects desirable.
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C. College/School/Department: Columbian College of Arts & Sciences (CCAS) Family Research and Labs Sub-Family Laboratory Research Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 3 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Mon-Fri, 8:30 AM - 5:30 PM Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: Required Background Check Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa statusInternal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: R000510 Job Open Date: 04/03/2018 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is your expected salary range?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have a PhD in biology or a related field?
- * Have you published journal articles about insect ecology?
- * Do you have experience with insect collections?
- * Are you familiar with data management plans?
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae