Job Description Summary
The Groundskeeper is responsible for landscaping and maintaining assigned areas. Maintenance of the assigned areas includes keeping the grounds in clean and orderly condition. The Groundskeeper is responsible for general maintenance and upkeep of grounds areas as well as specific detailing of the landscape and flowerbeds.
Duties and Tasks:
- Mows lawns, trims grass and edges around walks, flower beds and walls.
- Prunes shrubs and trees to shape and improve growth.
- Picks up litter, rakes and bags leaves
- Removes leaves, damaged branches, and twigs from the landscape using vacuums, saws, and other hand and power tools.
- Lays out and maintains flower and plant beds.
- Maintains and sharpens tools and makes minor repairs on equipment, as needed.
- Plants, fertilizes, waters, uses herbicides and insecticides and may repair/replace parts on irrigation system to maintain grass, flowers, trees and shrubs.
- Cleans drainage ditches and culverts.
- Maintains driveways and parking lots.
- Performs routine cleaning and maintenance on gardening and grounds equipment.
- Operates trucks and assorted power equipment.
- Attends training programs (classroom and virtual) as designated.
- Complies with all company safety and risk management policies and procedures.
- Reports all accidents and injuries in a timely manner.
- Participates in regular safety meetings, safety training and hazard assessments.
- Applies all applicable OSHA and related local safety requirements to all assigned work.
- Performs all work in accordance with established safety procedures.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude.
- Ability to communicate with co-workers and other departments with professionalism and respect.
- Ability to maintain a professional relationship with all coworkers, vendor representatives, supervisors, managers, customers and client representatives.
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent experience preferred.
- 2 or more years of related work experience.
- Horticultural training required.
- Certification in pesticide application.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in all OSHA and local requirements related to all assigned work.
- Operation of various types of commercial lawn mowers
- Operation of an edger whip and blower
- Operation of an auger
- Operation of a chainsaw
- Operation of a tractor
- Ability to use all relevant electronic and communication devices.
- Ability to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 8 hours).
- Ability to reach, bend, stoop, push and/or pull, and frequently lift up to 35 pounds and occasionally lift/move 40 pounds.
- Close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus, with or without corrective lenses.
- Significant walking or other means of mobility.
- Work is performed in an outdoor setting.
The work environment characteristics described here are a representation of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term "qualified individual with a disability" means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office and University, handle various type of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Saint Leo University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success.
Each year from 2012 to 2016, Saint Leo University was named one of Tampa Bay's Top Workplaces by the Tampa Bay Times .
The Top Workplaces in Tampa Bay program was created by the Tampa Bay Times and WorkplaceDynamics. The companies in this survey were ranked based on leadership, compensation and training, workplace flexibility, and diversity.
One of the Top-Ranked Universities in Florida
One of the top-ranked universities in Florida, Saint Leo is a Catholic, liberal arts school serving learners of all faiths.
We are traditional, but we are cutting edge
Established in 1889 by the Order of Saint Benedict of Florida, the university seeks balanced growth in mind, body and spirit for all members of our community. Saint Leo has grown from a peaceful campus in the rolling hills of Central Florida to an institution of international consequence-ranked one of the best regional universities in the South by U.S. News & World Report
Our Tampa-area campus remains committed as ever to student-centered liberal arts education, and is strengthened by the global reach of our regionally accredited online programs and Education Centers in seven states across the U.S., including on many military bases.
We are Catholic, but we are for everyone
Our determination to make higher education more accessible to all has made Saint Leo a world leader in redefining the 21st century university. Saint Leo now serves more than 16,000 students from 49 states and 86 countries-ranking us among the five largest Catholic higher education institutions in the United States. Saint Leo is also one of the nation's 10 leading providers of higher education to the U.S. military.
While we are proudly Catholic, we teach students not because they are Catholic, but because we are Catholic. And our faith compels us to imagine and contribute to a more socially just society.