Tobacco Treatment Specialist
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
The University of Colorado Cancer Center
Tobacco Treatment Specialist
Position # 00744948 - Requisition 13124
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado Cancer Center has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Tobacco Treatment Specialist position.
The University of Colorado Cancer Center, located at the Anschutz Medical Campus, is Colorado's only National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center, a distinction recognizing its outstanding contributions to research, clinical trials, prevention and cancer control. CU Cancer Center's clinical partner for adult care, University of Colorado Hospital is ranked in the top 15 hospitals nationwide by U.S. News and World Report and Children's Hospital Colorado is ranked 8th by the same organization in Pediatric Cancer Care. The CU Cancer Center is a member of the prestigious National Comprehensive Cancer Network®, an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers working to establish and deliver the gold standard in cancer clinical guidelines. CU Cancer Center also is a member of the Oncology Research Information Exchange Network (ORIEN), a unique research partnership among North America's top cancer centers leveraging multiple data sources and matching patients to targeted treatments. CU Cancer Center is a consortium of approximately 261 researchers and physicians at three state universities and three clinical institutions, all working toward its vision to prevent and cure cancer while being a global model for patient care delivery, interdisciplinary research, and training.
Nature of Work
The University of Colorado Cancer Center Tobacco Treatment Specialist (TTS) provides tobacco cessation counseling to University of Colorado Cancer Center patients identified as smokers in the electronic medical record. The TTS assists the patient in deciding whether to make a quit attempt, obtaining and using cessation medication, and staying abstinent from tobacco. Counseling is provided during clinic visits and via telephone. Patient education is provided on smoking cessation strategies and resources to support quit attempts. The TTS also collects and enters program-related data into an electronic database.
Examples of Work Performed
- Counseling of patients identified as smokers
- Data collection and data entry
- Tracking contact information to maintain counseling protocols
- Managing NRT supplies
- Tracking prior authorization for cessation medication as needed.
- Strategizing around cessation medications access issues and other cessation challenges
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
Salary and Benefits
The hiring salary for this position is $41,149 - $53,906and is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Bachelor's Degree in Health Education, Community Health, Public Health or related field.
- 1 year of experience in the tobacco cessation field.
- 1 year of experience in Motivational Interviewing
- Master's Degree in Health Education, Community Health, Public Health or related field.
- National certification in tobacco treatment (CTTS)
- Experience with some level of smoking cessation for patients or clients
- Experience in counseling
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Experience with EPIC or other electronic health record software
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- General knowledge of cancer and chronic disease prevention and control.
- Excellent communication skills and effective listening skills.
- Motivational interviewing counseling skills.
- Knowledge of smoking cessation strategies.
- Strong organizational skills, including multi-tasking, priority-setting and problem-solving
- Ability to communicate and provide services in a culturally competent manner
- Ability to motivate patients to use smoking cessation treatment
- Proven ability to work independently
- Computer proficiency in MS Office applications and data applications/processes Motivational Interviewing skills
- Strong organizational skills, including multi-tasking, priority setting and problem solving.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as a contributing team member.
- Computer proficiency in MS Office applications and in using computer-based data application/processes.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter/letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Michele Kimminau at [email protected]
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but full consideration will be given to complete applications received by April 15, 2018. Those who do not apply by April 15, 2018 may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Health Care
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20066 - SOM-U of Colo Cancer Center
Posting Date: Apr 3, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Michele Kimminau
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00744948