Senior Associate Dean, Degree Programs – School of Continuing Studies
Senior Associate Dean, Degree Programs – School of Continuing Studies
Georgetown University School of Continuing Studies (SCS) fulfills the university’s educational mission by offering a wide range of degree programs and applied learning experiences to a broad and inclusive community of students and professionals. The educational programs found within Georgetown SCS combine theory with practice through rigorous curricula led by experts in their fields, providing opportunities for students to excel academically and professionally.
The Senior Associate Dean of Degree Programs is a chief academic and administrative leader for the School of Continuing Studies, and serves as a key member of the college's leadership team. S/he has oversight responsibility over the degree programs in the School, which includes more than 20 academic programs and more than 3000 students annually. The Senior Associate Dean is responsible for assuring the degree programs fulfill their mission in terms of enrollments, excellence, faculty leadership and engagement, and student experience; and manages the work of Associate Deans across the degree programs, acting as a routine escalation point for all academic and operational matters within the degree programs, ensuring the consistent application of policies and practices, ensuring academic quality, and leading initiatives and projects across this portfolio.
The Senior Associate Dean collaborates with the senior leadership of SCS, program staff and faculty, as well as the Office of the Provost, HR, General Counsel, when necessary, to gather and report information. The work of the Senior Associate Dean will lead to continual recommendations to the Dean that will lead to consistency of academic quality school-wide.
On a day-to-day basis, this Senior Associate Dean manages the work of a team of associate deans with responsibilities for degree program management (including faculty affairs, student affairs, academic affairs and curricular design, industry relationships, development and assessment), and has oversight responsibility for the academic and operational units supporting degree programs. S/he ensures that new initiatives related to curricular design, revision, assessment, and teaching quality are completed with consistency across academic programs.
Curricular Oversight & Academic Quality Assurance Through the management of academic associate deans, the Senior Associate Dean oversees and maintains appropriate curricula across degree programs at SCS. This includes serving as routine escalation point for all SCS undergraduate and graduate degree programs. Oversight responsibility includes:
- The hiring and assessment of faculty directors to teach the curricula and to perform appropriate service;
- Oversight of the development and assessment of appropriate curricula for all SCS undergraduate and graduate programs;
- Leading the development and launch of new curricular initiatives to ensure timeline and excellent development of new degree programs with the SCS Program Planning Team;
- Lead program reviews through ongoing self-assessment for alignment with industry competencies and to ensure academic rigor;
- Ensure faculty affairs functions are uniform and excellent which may include overseeing hiring and supervision, assessment of faculty, professional development activities, including applying, revising and developing appropriate policies and procedures;
- Ensure the development and maintenance of standards for teaching, both on-campus and online, and collaborate with the Digital Strategy team to assure that SCS initiates and maintains cutting-edge, high quality approaches and assessments for technology-mediated education;
- Ensure that the appropriate industry outreach and connections exist for SCS’s professional programs; and,
- Ensure that program level outcomes are articulated in a consistent manner and are aligned with the school’s mission and strategic priorities.
Academic Operations The Senior Associate Dean oversees the work of the Academic Operations team, which include the associate dean, assistant deans, and program support staff (a team of 25+ staff) who have daily oversight responsibility of the student experience for all SCS academic degree programs. This area of the school is responsible for leadership and support in the areas of student experience, communications, events, and all administrative aspects of the degree programs at SCS. Examples of the work in this area include:
- Student pipeline management and advising, including matriculation, on-going registration, and graduation;
- Course scheduling and faculty contracting; and,
- Management of student communications and academic events.
Academic Affairs and Compliance The Senior Associate Dean oversees the Office of Academic Affairs and Compliance at SCS. This office is responsible for the following areas:
- Developing and administering academic policy;
- Ensuring the integrity of academic degrees by upholding the academic standards of the programs and degree requirements.
- Monitoring compliance with academic regulations at the school, university, state, and federal level.
- Assessing the application of policies to ensure equity and fairness to all faculty, staff, and students.
- Facilitating appeal processes, grievances, formal complaints and academic/curricular concerns to ensure equity and fairness for students, faculty, and staff.
Enrollment Management and Financial Oversight
- In partnership with the Dean, Chief Financial Officer, Executive Director of Enrollment Management, Executive Director of Marketing, and Chief of Staff, monitors and evaluates the budget and enrollment figures of academic programs and program support offices.
- Liaises between Academic Programs, Marketing, and Enrollment Management to ensure proper communication and coordination.
- Leads the programs in the responsible allocation of financial resources to assist the School in achieving the best use of available resources.
- Terminal degree
- 10 years of management experience in a complex environment
- Experience managing academic degree programs, preferably for an adult/professional audience.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and strong managerial ability
- Ability to interact and influence at the most senior levels of an organization and to work collaboratively across functions, levels and departments toward shared objectives.
- Strong writing and communication skills, including comfort with public presentations to a wide range of audiences.
- Ability to research a diverse array of topics related to higher and distill the key messages in preparation for presentations about the School of Continuing Studies
- Ability to work cooperatively and strategically in a team environment with all levels of professional, technical and administrative staff; and to integrate resources on a timely and organized basis
- Sound management skills and the ability to think strategically while balancing several complex agendas.
- Established skills in planning and managing multiple, diverse, and organizational needs
- Demonstrated expertise in a variety of the field's concepts, practices, and procedures, relying on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals
- Commitment to the mission of the School of Continuing Studies and to the vision of Dean
- A desire to work with a variety of people in expanding the work of the SCS
- Fluency in all Microsoft office products