Tutor/Mentor - Writing
Position Title: Tutor/Mentor - Writing
Bachelor's degree in English or a related field, knowledge of most common citation styles, proficiency in Microsoft Office, ability to interact with students of diverse cultural and educational backgrounds, and community college tutoring or teaching experience required;
Master's degree in Composition/Rhetoric preferred.
Duties:Responsible for all the activities associated with the Learning Commons Writing Lab including tutoring of students in writing across the curriculum, citing and evaluating sources, grammar, reading and study skills.
Major responsibilities include the following:
1. Coordinates support services in the Writing Lab;
2. Assists students in prewriting, including brainstorming and outlining;
3. Assists students with writing across the curriculum, reading and study skills;
4. Assists ESL students with writing, reading, citing and evaluating sources, and grammar;
5. Acts as a liaison between Academic Departments and the Learning Commons;
6. Encourages students to begin editing and revising on their own for success in future writing assignments;
7. Organizes and facilitates study groups and workshops;
8. Monitors and tracks students, to include student tutoring records;
9. Acts as a mentor and role model to students;
10. Refers students to more specialized services in counseling, academic advisement, or
community agencies as appropriate;
11. Assists with supervising and training peer and professional tutors;
12. Maintains familiarity with writing/literature/research class instructional materials, software, and electronic resources to facilitate students understanding of their coursework;
13. Plays a role in the Learning Commons development and leadership;
14. Promotes writing tutoring services to relevant classes and special populations;
15. Works closely with the Instructional Design Librarian to create handouts and other instructional resources to support student learning;
16. Ensures that writing lab resources are well-supplied and equipment is in working order;
17. Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of the Learning Commons;
Special Instructions to Applicants:
MVCC does not discriminate. MVCC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. MVCC offers a comprehensive employee enrichment program. Official academic transcripts required upon hire.
Review Start Date: 4/16/2018
Review of applications will begin on the review start date and will continue until successful candidates have been identified.