Associate Vice President of Finance
Associate Vice President of Finance
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Department: FINANCE AND OPERATIONS
Position Status: Administrative Exempt Positions
Founded in 1865 in Worcester, Massachusetts, WPI is one of the nation's first engineering and technology universities. Its 14 academic departments offer more than 50 undergraduate and graduate degree programs in science, engineering, technology, business, the social sciences, and the humanities and arts, leading to bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees. WPI's talented faculty work with students on interdisciplinary research that seeks solutions to important and socially relevant problems in fields as diverse as the life sciences and bioengineering, energy, information security, materials processing, and robotics. Students also have the opportunity to make a difference to communities and organizations around the world through the university's innovative Global Projects Program. There are more than 45 WPI project centers throughout the Americas, Africa, Asia-Pacific, and Europe.
Located in the heart of Worcester, MA, New England's second largest city, WPI's sprawling campus is set on a secluded hilltop in an area that is home to 13 colleges, several top notch museums, shopping centers, and diverse arts and entertainment. The WPI community consists of approximately 460 faculty members and 680 staff.
Where science and technology meet real-world challenges
WPI was founded in 1865 to create and convey the latest science and engineering knowledge in ways that are most beneficial to society. WPI's founding motto of Theory and Practice continues to underlie our academic programs. WPI graduates emerge ready to take on critical challenges in science and technology, knowing how their work can influence society and improve the quality of life.
Our world-class faculty is both renowned and accomplished. In the National Survey of Student Engagement, WPI ranked first for student-faculty interactions, a measure of the quality and quantity of time spent by faculty with undergraduate students. Our Distinguished faculty were ranked top in the nation by the Wall Street Journal for Combining Scholarly Research with Classroom Instruction.
WPI's research is internationally recognized for breakthroughs and innovations in biotechnology, fuel cells, nanotechnology, information security, and more.
Associate Vice President of Finance
Reporting to the Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, the Associate Vice President of Finance (AVP of Finance) is responsible for financial planning and all financial operations of the institution. The AVP of Finance provides short and long-term financial plans, analysis of financial results, and projections of current year operating performance. The AVP of Finance has responsibility for the University's operating budget, capital budget, position budgeting, controller's office, implementation of financial systems, procurement, mail services, printing services, and property management.
The AVP of Finance must maintain effective collaboration and foster strong working relationships with all divisions of the University.
The AVP of Finance will ensure financial and budget operations run smoothly and efficiently and that constituents receive the best possible customer service in support of the mission of the University.
The AVP of Finance will be innovative and collaborative in style of leadership, create a productive work environment, and lead and motivate a successful team.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Lead the strategic development of complex financial planning, budgeting and analysis by continuing to enhance existing processes and implementing best practices
• Lead, manage and advise senior University leadership regarding the efficient and effective budgeting and planning of resources, and ensure that resources are properly stewarded
• Collaboratively develop a robust financial reporting framework for the University and its operating units that meets the needs of the University, including executive leadership and academic and administrative departmental leaders
• Provide leadership and promote effective teamwork among Finance managers
• Directly supervise Controller, Director of Procurement Services, Director of Financial Systems, and Associate Budget Director
• Collaborate with Enrollment Management to model trends in enrollment and financial aid
• Develop capital budgets and report capital results in collaboration with the VP of Campus Planning and Facilities Management
• Provide leadership for projecting operating budget performance at key times throughout the year and work with academic and administrative leadership with budget planning, workforce planning and other academic and administrative leadership support
• Perform financial analysis and reports for executive decision making; provide detailed financial analysis of year-end operating results
• Manage position budgeting in collaboration with Division for Talent & Inclusion
• Develop and present budget material at trustee meetings
• Provide direction on analyzing costs of university programs and functions
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Strong financial skills including solid knowledge of accounting principles
• Proven ability to plan and manage both operating and capital budgets, and to support a data-driven decision model
• A significant record of administrative leadership and achievement; knowledge and experience of the operations of a large service-oriented organization comprised of a diverse population
• Strong analytical skills and ability to use financial data to guide decision-making; ability to direct and resolve complex problems
• Ability to demonstrate a strong orientation and commitment to customer service
• Strong coaching and mentoring skills that support a collegial, consultative, and forthright style of leadership
• Ability to be a positive change agent within WPI’s distinctive university culture by identifying and implementing imaginative and entrepreneurial solutions to complex problems. Work as a strategic visionary, connecting best practice programs and initiatives to the university’s mission and established goals
• A creative problem-solver with the ability to think strategically and develop a vision for long-range planning
• Unquestioned integrity with a high energy level and a strong work ethic. Broad intellectual curiosity and enthusiasm for fresh ideas
• Current on the latest developments in the industry that can be applied to improve the operational efficiency of Finance and Operations and related departments within the WPI community
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate with a diverse audience, including faculty and administrative staff, University leadership, trustees, students, external resources and professional peers in a rapidly changing and complex organization
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in a relevant discipline
• A record of at least ten years’ of progressively responsible budget, financial analysis, reporting, planning and operational management experience in a higher education, research or other closely related organization
• Knowledge of fiscal planning, accounting principles, and business practices for higher education
• Strong analytical skills, ability to address financial issues in an effective and timely manner, ability to interpret data and develop forecasting models
• Proactive in driving process improvement
• Ability to work as a self-starter and problem solver, with minimal direction and oversight
• Capacity to perform at a high level of excellence and create a best-in-class operation, with strong attention to detail
• Highly proficient in the use of financial accounting systems and Microsoft Office
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with others
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills when working with both technical and non-technical audiences
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Master’s Degree preferred
• Familiarity with Workday is a plus
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION STATEMENT
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Posting Date: 03/30/2018
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
Criminal Background Check Statement:
A pre-employment criminal records check is required.
To apply, visit: https://careers.wpi.edu/postings/5488