Senior Instructional Designer
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Pharmacy
Job Title: Senior Instructional Designer
Position #744731 - Requisition #13105
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
Who we are:
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets. Read more about us here.
The School of Pharmacy has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Senior Instructional Designer position.
Jobs in this career family provide direct professional support for the teaching and/or educational service mission of the university. Functions include academic advising/counseling, student personnel administration, recruitment and admissions, registration, financial aid, faculty affairs, library services, curriculum administration, and others involving direct support of the educational mission of an academic unit.
Senior Professionals are responsible for exercising discretion, analytical skill, personal accountability and responsibility in a wide range of areas including academic, administrative, managerial and student services functions. Work involves creating, integrating, applying and sharing knowledge directly related to a professional field. Work is performed fully independently.
This position serves the entry-level PharmD program, the Distance Degrees and Programs office, which administers the North American-Trained PharmD (NTPD) and International-Trained PharmD (ITPD) Programs, and other schools on the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus primarily for the purpose of designing online and/or face-to-face course content and educational assessments in both distance-based and on-campus courses.
Examples of Work Performed:
Educational Technology & Design Activities (65%)
Designs online and/or face-to-face course content and educational assessments, for their assigned courses, in both distance-based and on-campus courses, as applicable:
- Independently identify appropriate online and/or face-to-face pedagogies used in design of the course material (lesson and skills application material). This includes initiating projects to improve course quality and end user satisfaction.
- Independently or in conjunction with faculty members:
- Evaluate all course educational assessment (i.e., skills application assignments, exams) for proper design and alignment with program outcomes and/or course learning objectives
- Analyze course and lesson assessment validity (i.e. exam analysis)
- Coordinate semester course assessment planning and review sessions, working with faculty members to identify areas of improvement from results
- In collaboration with faculty members:
- Review and evaluate all course content for consistency and alignment with each school's curriculum
- Confirm that all course content is up-to-date
- Independently evaluate coursework for appropriate contact hours, collaborating with faculty when necessary to assure content provided meets these parameters
- Maintain the online learning environment, assuring that all online coursework is functional and provided on a timely basis
- Create and maintain the online course tools and materials, such as, but not limited to: course content, gradebook, discussion groups, and varying skills activities
- Create and maintain the course and program assessment activities, assuring each assessment supports the appropriate school's assessment strategy (examples of this include coordinating CoursEval™ assessments, tying activities to learning outcomes, etc.)
- Communicate and collaborate and with CU Online, the provider of our online learning management system and educational technology tools, to assure an optimal learning environment
- Independently explore, evaluate and implement emerging online technologies and methods, proactively applying these findings to meet the needs of and improve customer relationship management. This includes, but is not limited to, independently researching, implementing and evaluating educational design software, and project management/workflow software, etc., as it relates to faculty and/or student support.
- Additional duties/projects as assigned.
- Serve as the first point of contact for students and responding to educational technology-related concerns
- As needed, triage student concerns to appropriate personnel
- Identify, assess and develop policy revisions for student and program policies for review by the Associate Dean.
- Develop and maintain relationships with all faculty members, orienting them to the current and any future online course management system(s), and providing general program support
- Independently identify and coordinate coursework and timelines with all instructors and faculty
- Evaluate instructor activity and recommend corresponding payment. Independently evaluate and assist with quality assurance of multi-step process.
- Develop and provide training programs to cultivate knowledge, skills and abilities in the faculty
- Consult with faculty members on best online or face-to-face pedagogical methods to align with lesson, course and program needs
- Identify, assess, and develop initiatives to support the strategic growth of the Office of Education
- Develop and implement long-term goals and objectives to achieve the successful outcome of the office
- Develop a program evaluation framework to assess the strengths of the office and to identify areas for improvement
- In conjunction with the Associate Dean, manage learning and customer technology budget for the Office of Education
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
What we require:
- Graduate from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree in education, communications, information technology, information science or a closely related field
- Two years of experience with various instructional technologies and pedagogies, such as audio and video recordings, authoring software, teleconferencing, team-based learning, self-directed learning or a closely related substitute
What we'd like you to have:
- Masters or professional degree from an accredited college or university degree in education, communications, information technology, information science or a closely related field
- Experience in supporting faculty and students in a higher education setting
- Administrative knowledge and hands-on experience with course management systems, such as Blackboard and Canvas
- Experience with client relationship management and media-development software applications
- A highly professional demeanor
- Ability to work with diverse student populations
- Must be able to plan and execute duties, activities, and responsibilities with little or no supervision
- Strong interpersonal and problem solving skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple priorities
- Proven track record of meeting assigned goals
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and willingness to learn new technologies
- Ability to manage stress and remain flexible in a changing, fast-paced environment
- Work independently and interact effectively and cooperatively with team members
- Participate in professional development and training activities
- Strong leadership skills demonstrating ability to direct and influence colleagues of all levels
- Energetic interest in learning new skills and technologies
- Passion for helping others learn
- Productive and quality-improvement oriented worker capable of independent decision making, and complex problem solving
- Salary is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience
- PLEASE NOTE: This position is not eligible for overtime compensation
- The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
Special Instructions to Applicants:To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references)
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Review of applications will begin immediately, and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Academic Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20518 - SOP-Administration
Posting Date: Apr 2, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Jay Rodenburg
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00744731