Instructional Support Assistant, Histology Laboratory
Instructional Support Assistant, Histology Laboratory-1800861
At Stony Brook Medicine, a TH Instructional Support Assistant is a valuable member of our team, who provides administrative support and has the ability to interface with all levels of management throughout the hospital.
Qualified candidates will demonstrate superior patient care and possess outstanding communication skills while adhering to our high standard of excellence.
Duties may include the following but are not limited to:
- Provides coverage for the SL1 Surgical Coordinator in her absence for the Grossing Room. Assist the Surgical Coordinator and/or personally instruct subordinates, other laboratory staff and other members of the hospital community (i.e. operating room staff) when implementing new procedures and policies. Maintain and instruct subordinates in proper procedures, policies and safe laboratory practices mandated by NYSDOH, CLEP, CAP, PESH, and JCAHO.
- Responsible for the first level of compliance to accreditation agency standards for surgical pathology grossing. Participates in accreditation agency inspections for the above area. Ensures compliance for subordinates with these standards and regulations. Follows all laboratory procedures and protocols with interpretation of such policies as necessary to ensure proper patient care and safe work practices which includes using appropriate engineering and administrative controls to include wearing the appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Utilizes Hospital Information System (Cerner) for patient registration and ordering diagnostic tests, the Laboratory Information System (Copath) to accession specimens, the Hospital Procurement System (Lawson) for ordering supplies for the grossing room.
- Accession surgical requisitions into Copath assuring patient identification using established surgical policies and pathology protocols. Accurately and efficiently accession STAT, frozen section, fresh, and formalin fixed tissue specimens according to established policies and procedures. Accession surgical specimens' in Ventana Vantage patient identification barcoded system, ensuring accurate patient identification is confirmed. Resolves Cerner/Copath issues and brings to the attention of the Coordinator any unresolved issues.
- Acts as a SB SAFE coordinator for Surgical Pathology identifying safety issues, inputs reports and develops corrective actions with SL5 Associate Technical Director and if approved, implements action plan(s).
- Responsible for equipment maintenance and troubleshooting. Responsible for preventative maintenance records for the grossing area and bringing problems forward to the Surgical Coordinator/SL-5 Associate Technical Director in a timely manner.
- Responsible for the coordination of hazardous waste disposal for all Anatomic Pathology areas according to established policies and procedures. Work with Environmental Health and Safety to ensure appropriate disposal of chemicals. Must understand and comply with all relevant regulatory agency standards.
- Administrative duties to include Quality Assurance Support to the SL5 Associate Technical Director. Reconcile daily gross room specimen issues and transport logs. Provide Quality Assurance gross room reports monthly and quarterly to SL5 Associate Technical Director for the Anatomic Pathology Quality Assurance Program. Able to complete projects for review using independent judgement.
- Assist Histology Technologists with additional tasks, assemble folders/paperwork, perform Case Assembly, file tissue samples and surgical slides as well as retrieve surgical specimens.
Required Qualifications: Associates degree. In lieu of an Associates degree a minimum of four years experience in a hospital, clinical laboratory or healthcare facility. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Excellent organizational skills.
Preferred Qualifications: Proficient with Hospital Information System (HIS). Proficiency with Laboratory Information System (LIS). Knowledge of/or background in Anatomic Pathology Quality Assurance. Knowledge of patient identification barcoding systems. At least two years supervisory experience.
Special Note: Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
All Hospital positions are subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary. This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services (The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination), submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
The best ideas in medicine start with the best people. At Stony Brook Medicine, our highest calling is to put the power of ideas to work in our patients’ lives. Stony Brook Medicine integrates and elevates all of our health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. Stony Brook Medicine is Long Island’s premier academic medical center. With 603 beds, we serve as the region’s only tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center, and are home to the Stony Brook Heart Institute, Stony Brook Cancer Center, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital, Stony Brook Neurosciences Institute, and Stony Brook Digestive Disorders Institute. We also encompass Suffolk County’s only Level 4 Regional Perinatal Center, state-designated AIDS Center, state-designated Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program, state-designated Burn Center, the Christopher Pendergast ALS Center of Excellence, and Kidney Transplant Center. It is home of the nation’s first Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
This function/position has been designated as “essential.” This means that when the Hospital is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover, and continue operations at Stony Brook Medicine, Stony Brook University Hospital and related facilities.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected].
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700.
IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AThttp://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Official Job Title: TH Instructional Support Assistant
Job Field: Laboratory
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Histology Laboratory-Stony Brook University Hospital
Schedule: Full-time Day Shift 10am - 6:30pmHistology Laboratory-Stony Brook University Hospital
Posting Start Date: Apr 2, 2018
Posting End Date: May 2, 2018, 11:59:00 PM
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Salary Grade: SL1