Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs, Academic Professionals
Requisition # 2018-8630
Department Dean of the Faculty
Category Academic Administration
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Princeton University seeks a highly knowledgeable and skilled individual to serve as Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs, Academic Professionals, in the Office of the Dean of the Faculty (ODOF). The Dean of the Faculty has administrative oversight of academic departments and programs and all matters pertaining to the effectiveness and well-being of the faculty and the professional researchers, specialists and librarians (Academic Professionals).
The Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs reports directly to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, and collaborates on a daily basis with academic department administrators. The Assistant Dean reviews and approves all personnel actions for the professional researchers, specialists and librarians. This includes appointments, reappointments, leaves, parental extensions, and leaves. In addition, this individual serves as the ODOF liaison with the University postdoctoral community, and develops and leads annual orientation sessions. Working closely with the Associate Dean, the incumbent prepares review materials for the Committee on Appointments and Advancements for the Research and Technical Staffs (C7) and the Professional Librarian's Promotion, Continuing Appointment, and Review Committee (C5).
This individual will handle investigations involving academic professionals, as assigned by the Deputy Dean of the Faculty, and undertake special projects for the Deputy Dean of the Faculty and the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, as assigned.
The specific responsibilities of the Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs, Academic Professionals, are:
- Manages all personnel actions for the academic professional community.
- Serves as ODOF liaison with the University postdoctoral community, developing orientation programs and providing other support as needed.
- Prepares review materials for the C7 and C5.
- Investigates complaints involving academic professionals, as assigned.
- Special projects for the Deputy Dean of the Faculty and Associate Dean for Academic Affairs as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required; PhD preferred.
- Six or more years of professional experience.
- Demonstrated success in a higher education setting.
- Excellent customer service skills. Ability to collaborate effectively.
- Keen sense of attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and problem solving skills.
- Ability to manage sensitive and confidential issues.
- Ability to relate and communicate with all levels of management.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple priorities in a deadline-oriented environment.
- Proficiency with business software and fluency with systems such as OnBase, Cognos and PeopleSoft.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.