Assistant Director of Residential Life
Requisition # 2018-8553
Department Dean of the Graduate School
Category Student Affairs and Services
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
The Graduate School at Princeton University seeks candidates for the new position of Assistant Director of Residential Life (ADRL). Working under the supervision of the Associate Dean for Student Life and in collaboration with the other members of the Student Life team, the ADRL is a live-in professional responsible for supporting and enhancing the residential and co-curricular experience of graduate students residing in university housing. This professional will join the Student Life team in the Office of the Dean of the Graduate School, which offers a challenging and supportive work environment. Engaged and dedicated staff members within the office collaborate to improve the educational experience of all graduate students at Princeton. The work itself is extraordinarily rewarding: it is multi-faceted, always evolving, and meaningful.
The ADRL upholds expectations for conduct and citizenship through conflict resolution, investigating and adjudicating lower level disciplinary issues, and on-call crisis management in consultation with the assistant and associate deans. The ADRL assists students around health and wellness issues and serves as a liaison between the student and other relevant offices. The ADRL serves as advisor to the residential committees and assists with community issues and concerns. The ADRL plans, implements, and supports educational and social programming at the graduate residences and campus-wide. The ADRL oversees and upholds policies that relate to graduate residential facilities and management of the Graduate College Office.
This is a 3-year term position, with the potential for renewal, and will perform other student life-related activities to meet campus needs.
Advising Residential Committees/ Addressing Community Concerns/ Residential Life :
- Advises residential committees. Develops, articulates and implements Graduate School and University policy and procedures regarding their operation. Oversees the management of the D-Bar.
- Upholds expectations for good conduct and citizenship through conflict resolution and mediation of rooming and other residential conflicts. Oversees and upholds policies that relate to graduate residential facilities.
- Oversees the management of the Graduate College Office and supervises the Office Coordinator.
- Serves as a liaison to Housing/ Facilities/ other partner offices regarding graduate facilities and needs.
Student Support/Crisis Intervention/Emergency Response:
-Participates in an on-call rotation to provide crisis management for medical, psychological and other emergencies (in collaboration with Health Services,Counseling and Psychological Services and Public Safety).
- Advises and counsels students in difficulty, as a junior partner to the assistant and associate deans. Assists students experiencing personal difficulties and makes appropriate referrals to University resources.
- Assists students around health and wellness issues and serves as a liaison between the student and other relevant offices.
Discipline/ Community Standards:
- Adjudicates discipline for lower level non-academic infractions of university policies.
- Advises and supports graduate students in matters related to Title IX. Attends Title IX trainings and serves in the adviser pool for Title IX matters.
- Issues and mediates No-Contact Orders involving graduate students.
Programming/ Events/ Building Community:
- Responsible for offering a wide variety of programs and events for graduate students at the graduate residences and across campus that meet the diverse needs of graduate students.
- Organizes the High Tables, TigerFest and Broadway trips. Assists with the organization and implementation of other student life events (Orientation, Hooding, Stripes, etc...).
- Maintains social media presence to enhance graduate community.
- Conducts assessment of student life and campus life more broadly.
- Represents the interests of graduate students on a variety of committees surrounding campus life.
Highly motivated, flexible, and service-oriented individual, with proven skills in maintaining and growing relationships with campus partners to provide student services. Ability to work collaboratively in a diverse environment with students, faculty, staff, senior administration, alumni and other community members. Excellent communication (both verbal and written) and interpersonal skills. Ability to take initiative, work independently and cooperatively with others, and thrive in a demanding, fast-paced environment. Excellent organizational skills, ability to set priorities and multi-task. Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment needed to handle confidential information, documents and communications.
Evening and weekends are required.
1-3 years experience with on-call crisis management and adjudicating student discipline.
1-3 years providing student support around mental health, personal concerns, and Title IX matters.
Basic knowledge of graduate education, doctoral education in particular.
Direct student affairs experience with graduate students, highly desirable.
Graduate degree required. Degree in student affairs or related field, highly desirable.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Estimated Appointment End Date
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.