Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Requisition # 2018-8627
Department Dean of the Faculty
Category Academic Administration
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Princeton University seeks a highly knowledgeable and skilled individual to serve as Associate Dean for Academic Affairs in the Office of the Dean of the Faculty (ODOF). The Dean of the Faculty has administrative oversight of academic departments and programs and all matters pertaining to the effectiveness and well-being of the faculty and the professional researchers, specialists and librarians (Academic Professionals).
The Associate Dean for Academic Affairs (Faculty) reports directly to the Dean of the Faculty and serves as a key member of the senior staff. This individual supervises the Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs, Faculty, and an administrative assistant.
The Associate Dean for Academic Affairs (Faculty) oversees the faculty search process, reviewing and approving ads, departmental search plans and candidate lists, and ensuring EEO compliance. The Associate Dean manages the assistant professor, instructor, and senior lecture recruitment and appointment processes, and reviews and approves their offer letters. In addition, this individual manages the extension of term process for childbirth or adoption, and childcare workload relief.
The Associate Dean manages the appointment and reappointment process for academic program, center and institute chairs and directors. Working with the Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs, Faculty, this individual oversees the academic unit annual summer staffing meeting process. The Associate Dean handles the management of medical accommodations for faculty, and investigates complaints involving faculty, as assigned by the Deputy Dean of the Faculty.
The Associate Dean represents the ODOF on the following committees: Committee on the Course of Study, Academic Managers Group Steering Committee, Visiting Professor for Distinguished Teaching Selection Committee, 250 th Anniversary Fund Review Committee, Disability Review Group.
- Update the Dean of the Faculty on all matters pertaining to the faculty search process and junior faculty recruitment.
- Oversee the faculty search process.
- Manage the appointment and reappointment process for assistant professors, instructors and senior lecturers.
- Manages extensions of terms and workload relief processes.
- Represent the ODOF on various University committees and communicate regularly with academic deans, department chairs and managers.
- Oversee academic unit annual summer staffing meetings.
- Investigate complaints involving faculty, as assigned.
- Manage medical accommodations for faculty.
- Supervise one assistant dean and an administrative assistant.
- Doctoral degree required.
- Six or more years of professional experience in higher education environment.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and problem-solving skills.
- Exercise sound judgment and discretion at all times and the ability to maintain confidentiality in all areas.
- Ability to manage sensitive and confidential issues.
- Ability to relate and communicate with all levels of management.
- Strong and effective customer service skills and well-developed problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment.
- Proficiency in business software and fluency with enterprise systems such as OnBase, Cognos, and Peoplesoft.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.