Description of Position
Diablo Valley College Library seeks a creative, dynamic, collaborative, and service-oriented librarian for a full-time, tenure track librarian position. The successful candidate will work with students, faculty, and staff to support initiatives promoting effective learning and information discovery both in-person and online. The primary responsibility of this position is to provide vision, direction, and shared leadership in the development, delivery, and assessment of library instruction.
The ideal candidate will share DVC€™s commitment to educating its increasingly diverse student population particularly those from underserved communities. We currently enroll over 29,000 students. 24% of DVC students are Latinx, 6% are African-American, 5% are Filipino, 14% are Asian, 37% are White, and 8% are multiracial. DVC expects to become an officially designated Hispanic-Serving Institution in the coming year.
The successful candidate will join a college that is dedicated to achieving the goals of its Student Equity Plan. The college is host to active student-led affinity groups, robust learning community programs (e.g. Puente, Umoja, MESA.), meetings and trainings dedicated to supporting DACA students and their families, and an offering of culturally responsive events, including the ongoing Education, Equity and Inclusivity Speaker series.
The DVC Library is committed to recruiting a diverse workforce and advancing the college€™s commitment to inclusive excellence. Qualified early career librarians and candidates from diverse backgrounds and life experiences are encouraged to apply.
Diablo Valley College
€¢ Master€™s in library science, library and information science,
the equivalent. If you do not possess the EXACT minimum qualifications (i.e. you do not possess the exact degree listed) and believe that you meet the minimum qualifications because of equivalent educational or professional background), please fill out the equivalency petition form found at http://www.4cd.edu/career/forms/MastersDegreeEquiv.pdf
1. Demonstrated commitment to student learning and to the success of all students in the open-access learning environment of a community college;
2. Demonstrated sensitivity to issues of diversity, and the ability to motivate and teach community college students of diverse ethnic and racial background, sexual orientations, genders, cultures, and learning styles, as well as students with disabilities or varied levels of academic preparation;
3. Ability to apply diverse life and teaching experiences to student learning and success;
4. Commitment to improving the success of students of all backgrounds and abilities, in particular, reducing achievement gaps of under-prepared and under-served students;
5. Experience and/or coursework in academic library instruction;
6. Ability to creatively apply emerging trends, concepts, and technologies in library instruction;
7. Demonstrated ability to work creatively, collaboratively, and effectively as part of a team;
8. Commitment to user-centered library services;
9. Excellent written and oral communication skills;
10. Engagement with the scholarship of teaching and learning, including pedagogical practices and instructional design.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please respond to the required Supplemental Questions addressing the minimum and desirable qualifications. Also, please respect the word limits for each question. These supplemental questions are a required part of the application. They are designed to give you the opportunity to provide information about how you meet the desirable qualifications for the position. ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS even if you repeat information provided elsewhere in the application. The information provided in these questions will be used to determine which individuals will be invited for an interview and teaching demonstration. Note: The disciplines listed in the minimum qualifications are determined by the statewide Academic Senate for California Community Colleges. A Ph.D. is considered to encompass a Master€™s degree. Other than that, if the title(s) of your degree major(s) listed on your unofficial transcripts or other documents from the degree-granting institutions are not an EXACT MATCH to the degrees listed below, please submit an equivalency form. Without it, your application will not be considered. You can copy and paste the following in your browser, http://www.4cd.edu/career/forms/MastersDegreeEquiv.pdf , to obtain the equivalency form. The completed form can be uploaded in the attachment section of the application.
Please see information about interview process in Selection Process section. Also, candidates who have not finished their degree must fill out an equivalency form.
Job Close Date:
Open Until Filled
The Contra Costa Community College District does not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, or sexual orientation. This prohibition against unlawful discrimination extends to any person who is perceived to have any of the above characteristics or who is associated with someone who has, or who is perceived to have, any of those characteristics.