Course Instructor, Health Information Management
As a competency-based, student-focused, online, nonprofit university, we do things a bit differently at WGU. From the bottom up, we're designed with students in mind—particularly, the busy, working, adult student who wants to earn a bachelor's or master's degree but for whom a traditional university education simply won't do. Western Governors University is the only university in the history of American higher education to have earned accreditation from four regional accrediting commissions.
The principal mission of Western Governors University is to improve quality and expand access to post-secondary educational opportunities by providing a means for individuals to learn independent of time or place and to earn competency-based degrees and other credentials that are credible to both academic institutions and employers.
About Health Information Management
Course Instructors at WGU function as subject matter experts who assist students as they engage specific sections of the WGU curriculum. The Course Instructors do not develop WGU courses, construct tests or grade assessments. Their primary focus is on bringing WGU courses of study to life through one-to-one or one-to-many engagements.
Improve patient care as the crucial link connecting medical providers, the information they gather, the technology and data systems they use to track critical patient info, and the patients themselves. Maintaining the quality of medical records is of utmost importance for individuals and for the healthcare system at large—and it is one of the areas of healthcare with the greatest opportunity for growth and improvement.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Provide coaching, support, and subject matter expertise to students enrolled in assigned course
- Communicate professionally, relate well, and can motivate a diverse and large group of students.
- Respond to student inquiries about content, learning resources, or assessment.
- Provide relevant information on student tasks based on feedback from assessment graders.
- Coach students to competency development by asking open-ended questions, brainstorming next steps, and maintaining accountability.
- Provide additional resources to students based on content expertise, while maintaining the students' responsibility for task competency.
- Maintain current and active knowledge in area of expertise in order to bring examples and ideas to students.
- Master's Degree in health related field.
- RHIA Certification (ALL CANDIDATES MUST HAVE THIS CERTIFICATION FOR CONSIDERATION)
- 5+ Years experience in Health Information Management or related field
- 2+ years of instructional experience in a health related program within higher education, preferably with an online component
- Proven track record for effective coaching and communication skills within a diverse population.
- Ph.D. in Health Leadership, Management or other health related field.
- Experience collaborating with healthcare leaders identifying opportunities for process improvement.
WORK FROM HOME, United States