Provide outpatient family-based treatment to adolescents who have mental health and/or substance use problems, and to their family members, within the context of marriage and family systems.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Engages adolescents and family members into services.
- Provides direct treatment to adolescents who have mental health and/or substance abuse problems, and to their family members.
- Provides culturally and clinically competent treatment.
- Conducts school and home visits when needed.
- Maintains case files that include activities, progress notes, evaluations, and recommendations.
- Develops and implements individualized treatment plans.
- Collects information about clients, using techniques such as interviewing, discussion, and observation.
- When necessary confers with other counselors, doctors, supervisors, and professionals to analyze individual cases and to coordinate counseling services.
- Helps clients and family members develop strategies and skills to change their behavior and to cope with difficult situations.
- Works in conjunction with supervisor and other team members to ensure implementation of the family-based intervention, which includes family, individual, and psychoeducational sessions as related to program participant needs.
- Refers clients to other resources or services in the community when required, such as support groups or inpatient treatment facilities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for treatment of mental health and substance use issues.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate well with others.
- Bachelor’s degree in mental health counseling or related field required.
- Master’s degree in mental health counseling or related field preferred.
- Must have experience working with minority high risk adolescents and families.
- Must be bilingual in English and Spanish, enabling her/him to work effectively with Hispanic families.
- Must have a valid Florida driver’s license.
The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. We are committed to educating and nurturing students, creating knowledge, and providing service to our community and beyond. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Come join us!]]>