Under the direction of the Systems Support Manager, the AV/Technology Support Technician is responsible for providing first level AV support to the UM Libraries faculty, staff and patron/end-user community. This position involves performing library technology support by assessing AV needs, coordinating equipment deployment and use, troubleshooting and repairing problems relating to hardware components and AV software applications in the Richter Library and subject specialty libraries, including AV/Technology support for the Kislak Center and Learning Commons.
Regular work schedule: Tuesday – Saturday, 10:00am – 6:00pm. All staff may be required to change their shifts as needed by the department, particularly in support of scheduled special events.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES (include percentages of time)
Provides Library AV/Technology support for Library Spaces & Events (60%)
- Conduct daily checks of all technology-enriched library spaces in Richter and the Music Library to ensure room technology is functioning and ready for use.
- Setup of audio and video equipment, including integrated Crestron equipment.
- Responsible for operation of audio, video, lighting, and multi-media as scheduled.
- Assists with the physical maintenance, trouble-shooting, and repair of audio/video equipment and other multi-media equipment.
- Communicate with the Systems Support Manager and event coordinators on an event by event basis to ensure the needs are met in relation to the equipment used and support offered.
- Set up and test all equipment for any given event while communicating and coordinating with all parties involved.
- Offer support for the length of the event while troubleshooting any issues that may arise.
- Report all successes and issues to the Systems Support Manager as well as offer any suggestions for future improvements.
- Analyze and suggest to the Systems Support Manager any equipment or operation changes to better support events and/or library spaces.
- Monitors and reports on room, equipment and service usage to Systems Support Manager.
Provides computer technical support services to library patrons and staff (30%)
- Responds to requests for assistance by library patrons, faculty, and staff experiencing technical problems utilizing library computers, peripherals, and technology-enhanced rooms.
- Troubleshoot technical problems, identify and implement solutions, and performing emergency diagnostics for full system failures.
- Assist in monitoring the performance of the library’s network and resolves networking issues when necessary.
- Installs hardware/software within Richter Library and its subject specialty libraries.
- May work as field technician and/or help with technical support desk advising subject specialty libraries.
- Maintains a detailed log of trouble requests using the support request database.
- Performs routine maintenance & support on Learning & Information Commons, library lab computers and other public computers.
- Assists with special divisional, library-wide, and university-wide projects as assigned.
Communications, Relationships and Service (10%)
- Maintain helpful and supportive customer service behavior with all library customers internal and external.
- Establish effective and supportive interdepartmental relationships, and participate in cross training opportunities to increase library and unit effectiveness and to effectively disseminate information.
- Communicate frequently and effectively with all University staff, faculty, and administrators in a timely manner regarding procedures, policies, and other necessary information.
- When possible, participate in committees and teams within and outside the Libraries to provide services to the Libraries, University, and the Community.
- High school diploma and three years relevant work experience with computer & peripheral support, and A/V & multi-media setup and support
- Computer skills and proficiency in Windows, Mac OS & iOS operating systems, Microsoft Office products, multi-media applications
- Audio, video, and multi-media equipment setup, trouble-shooting and support skills
- Hardware and software troubleshooting skills
- Hardware knowledge in PCs, printers, scanners, memory sticks, CD burners, storage devices and other pc components
- Knowledge of basic networking & network trouble-shooting
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong self- motivation
- Ability to work in a changing, progressive environment
- Excellent communication skills
PERFORMANCE COMPETENCIES AND CRITERIA:
- Ability to ask the right questions in order to properly assist customers
- Participation in the evaluation process by giving feedback to others
- Ability to work well as a member of a team
- Ability to change processes and workflow based on customer demands and library vision
- Ability to set goals and monitor achievements
The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. We are committed to educating and nurturing students, creating knowledge, and providing service to our community and beyond. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Come join us!]]>