The University of Miami Division of Facilities Operations & Planning is seeking a Manager, Accounting.
CORE JOB SUMMARY
The Manager, Accounting manages various accounting functions to include associated analysis and reporting. This position evaluates and makes improvements to accounting processes while ensuring that practices comply with applicable laws and regulations and the University’s accounting policies.
CORE JOB FUNCTIONS
Oversees the completion of ledger accounts and financial statements.
Evaluates and makes appropriate improvements to internal accounting processes ensuring that practices are in line with the overall goals of the organization.
Manages all monthly, quarterly, and year-end closings and audits.
Ensures department/division financial records are accurate.
Monitors and maintains accounting systems, reviewing and upgrading when appropriate.
Assists in the development of budgets for projects. Ensures that project/department milestones/goals are met and adhere to approved budgets.
Establishes and continuously assesses the effectiveness of the internal controls within the unit and compliance with University policies and procedures. Ensures employees are trained on controls within the function and on University policy and procedures.
Bachelor’s degree in relevant field required
Certification and Licensing:
Minimum 5 years of relevant experience
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
- Ability to maintain effective interpersonal relationships.
- Ability to work independently and/or in a collaborative environment.
- Ability to effectively plan, delegate and/or supervise the work of others.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting procedures and principles.
- Knowledge of budget control methods, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to prepare financial and accounting records.
- Ability to compile, organize, interpret, and communicate accounting data and results concisely.
Department Specific Functions
The Manager, Accounting reports to the Executive Director, Facilities Accounting and supports areas of financial reporting and analysis within the Division of Facilities Operations and Planning with a primary focus on capital and capital renewal projects overseen by the departments of Construction, Planning, and Facilities Management and operational and labor expenditures contracted through Facilities Management. Responsible for ongoing analysis of construction project budgets, operational, cash flow, month/year-end closing, and account reconciliations.
Assist in the development of the multi-million dollar, 5-year capital and capital renewal plans with the input of Construction and Facilities Management.
Develop and implement tracking policies and procedures as it relates to vendor contract administration.
Assist in any construction related audits and implement findings, where appropriate.
Work closely with University Finance, AVPs and Directors of capital construction and deferred maintenance construction to establish and oversee project accounts.
Assist in compiling necessary financial documentation, as it relates to construction, for grant submittals.
Oversee, analyze, and evaluate month-end financial and management reporting.
Serve as a liaison with University Finance.
Assist in the development of long-term financial planning for plant/capital funding projects.
Coordinate the fiscal year end closing process and capital project cost tracking.
Work with project management staff ensuring proper compliance with accounting procedures including reviewing and analyzing job cost estimates, reports, and variances.
Analyze costs and assist management in cost control measures.
Review, investigate, and correct errors and inconsistencies in financial entries, documents and reports.
Daily oversight of three Senior Accountants and two Accountants.
Coordinate and assist with special projects as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- Ability to analyze, consolidate, and interpret accounting data.
- Ability to manage a budget and work within the constraints of that budget.
- Ability to direct, manage, implement, and evaluate department operations.
- Ability to establish department goals and objectives that support the strategic plan.
- Ability to lead, motivate, develop and train others.
- Ability to analyze, organize and prioritize time sensitive work and consistently meets deadlines.
- Strong technical skills involving, cost analysis and month/year-end close.
- Familiarity with University’s accounting systems (Workday) is a plus.
- Maintains a positive working relationship with University staff, adheres, and supports the University’s DIRECCT Common Purpose, Values, Behaviors, and Service Standards.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/ WORKING ENVIRONMENT
The following sections capture the physical demands and working environment that are required for this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Conditions of extreme heat or extreme cold Never
Wet/Humid conditions Never
Confined areas Never
High places Never
Equipment in motion Never
High noise levels Never
Environmental hazards Never
Exposure to TB Never
Exposure to Blood-borne Pathogens Never
Exposure to Radiant Energy Never
Outdoor/Exposed areas Never
Operate vehicles Never
Use hand tools Never
Use power tools Never
Vision (Near) Constantly
Depth Perception Constantly
Color Vision Constantly
Use of keyboard or touchscreen Constantly
Smelling NeverApply online. Position #P100037739
The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. We are committed to educating and nurturing students, creating knowledge, and providing service to our community and beyond. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Come join us!]]>