The University of Miami, Facilities Management Dept. is seeking a Maintenance Mechanic who will maintain the physical assets of the Rosenstiel (Marine/RSMAS) campus in good condition under the guidance of the Facilities preventive maintenance program (PM).
This is a dependable and responsible individual who maintains and repairs RSMAS campus buildings, assets and facilities. This position encompasses building maintenance skills of a limited nature in all crafts: carpentry, electrical, plumbing, painting, mechanical, HVAC, roofing and general building-related items.
This position requires good communication skills and a positive “can do” attitude. Verbal and written instructions are received in English from Sr. Facilities Operations Rep and/or Facilities Manager. Fills out and supplies detailed records, files logs, time sheets, vacation schedules and component drawings. The work orders are processed and handled in a timely manner as required to keep the campus secure and operational.
The skilled worker handles all phases of building maintenance, equipment, materials and installation; including operation work such as construction, alterations, systems, controls and components. This position requires close coordination, cooperation and interaction with Facilities Managers, peer employees, vendors and customers.
The incumbent has an emphasis on team work and accountability. Furthermore, interfaces with code inspectors and regulatory agencies to ensure compliance with all aspects of regulations and University standards.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
1. Operates, maintains and repairs equipment and facilities as listed in the Facilities maintenance program.
2. Performs the PM program and reactive functions in a timely and thorough manner.
3. Interprets policies and procedures of the University of Miami to ensure compliance with all safety and environmental regulations.
4. Keeps through, detailed and up to date records on activities on the maintenance area.
5. Provides all necessary maintenance and operations information on time.
6. Requests technical training as needed in the areas of responsibility. Provide training to other mechanics, as needed.
7. Monitors, processes and aids in the development of efficient planning.
8. Performs routine building inspections, takes corrective action, and/or reports regularly any deficiencies or needed action in area of responsibility to Facilities Manager or designee.
9. Determines funding source for activities and reports any uncertainties to the Facilities Manager or designee.
10. Performs installations and fabrications within the specifications of the University programs at a generalist skill level.
11. Maintains neat, orderly work area and safeguards tools, equipment and spare parts.
12. Inputs PM and routine work orders in TMA database.
13. Performs other duties as assigned.
Reports to Facilities Manager and/or designee.
1. High School diploma or equivalent is required.
2. Five (5) years or more industry experience in positions of increasing responsibility.
3. Primarily responsible for ensuring the accomplishment of assigned PM tasks and schedules.
4. May be a primary response for “after hours” maintenance requests. These duties may also include the response and repair effort for fire alarm concerns.
5. Initiative, judgement and solid communication skills.
6. Basic PC equipment knowledge to include Workday (payroll system), TMA work order management system, MS Outlook and those programs required to maintain schedules of all equipment being services.
7. Must be able to perform shift work, afterhours emergency call-in, work with other crafts and work in environments out of the normal duties as needed.
8. Strong verbal and written communication skills, with ability to effectively handle conflict resolution and problem solving.
9. Must have excellent people skills in order to build positive relationship with staff, customers, vendors and stakeholders.
10. Must have good leadership skills “Leads by Example”.
11. Must be able to multitask with strong prioritization, scheduling and delegation abilities.
12. Must have excellent organizational skills.
13. Must have knowledge and ability with the management and administration of outside service providers.
14. Must have proven emphasis on teamwork, cooperation, customer relations and leadership in problem solving.
15. Must keep skill set current with the needs of the working environment. Must maintain time schedules and work with varied and flexible schedules in the University environment.
16. Must be able to operate power equipment.
17. Must comply with and enforce the policies and procedures of the Facilities Administration and comply and enforce all safety rules and requirements.
18. Must possess and maintain a valid Florida driver’s license and be able to meet the insurance requirements of the University of Miami. Must have a good driving record.
19. Basic knowledge of data analysis and computer skills to include: MS Outlook, MS Word, MS Excel).
20. Must have sufficient physical ability, strength, manual dexterity and lifting ability (i.e. to lift, move, or carry 50 lbs. over a distance of 20 feet). This includes but is not limited to handling equipment for specialist crafts, carpentry, HVAC, electrical, plumbing, motors, pumps, air conditioning components, lighting fixtures and poles, concrete work and carpentry. Must be able to work in conditions which are adverse (hot, dusty, cramped, wet, dirty, enclosed); work from heights and in areas where climbing is required up to 40 feet. An outline and frequency of these tasks is outlined below:
Physical Abilities: Amount of time spent in the following activities:
A Lifting 1 Sedentary 10lbs max frequent
2 Light 20lbs max frequent
3 Medium 50lbs max frequent
4 Heavy 100lbs max some
5 Very Heavy 100lbs plus infrequent
B Stooping frequent
C Kneeling frequent
D Crouching some
E Crawling infrequent
F Reaching constant
G Handling constant
H Sitting frequent
I Pulling frequent
J Climbing frequent
K Balancing frequent
L Standing constant
M Walking constant
N Twisting constant
O Bending constant
21. Must subscribe to the Departmental Vision and to the Departmental Core Values:
- Quality Workmanship
- Honesty, Integrity and Ethical Behavior
- Respect for each other
- Providing a high level of Customer Service/Customer Satisfaction
22. Adhere and display the University of Miami’s DIRECCT behaviors:
23. Adhere and display the University of Miami’s identified leadership traits and behaviors:
- Builds Trust
- Serves Others
- People Developer
24. Adhere and display the University of Miami’s Service Standards:
The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. We are committed to educating and nurturing students, creating knowledge, and providing service to our community and beyond. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Come join us!]]>