The University of Miami Facilities Management Department is seeking a Facilities Management Lead Technician. Working Hours: Evenings with weekend rotation.
All work performed is expected to be in accordance with the University’s DIRECCT Values, Service Standards, Leadership Behaviors, and Departmental Standards. Position is designated essential personnel for emergencies.
The Facilities Management Lead Technician supports management in overseeing the work of maintenance mechanics, skilled tradespeople, and contractors by offering instruction, guidance, and directives to the assigned team while actively involved in one or more of the trades. Ensures quality standards for campus conditions and plans ahead to minimize disruptions. Addresses emergencies and takes corrective action. Handles scheduling adjustments. Collaborates and builds relationships with a variety of audiences. The specialty trade is responsible for all phases of specialty work including construction, alteration, and maintenance of buildings, systems, controls, and components for the Coral Gables and RSMAS campuses.
Leadership and Development
- Train and coach team members, and lead by example; provide learning opportunities for best practices.
- Organize and distribute work and materials.
- Follow-up to ensure quality and completeness of work through visual inspection of assigned buildings and areas.
- Perform work in the absence of a team member.
- Assist Manager/Sr. Manager with hiring recommendations, performance appraisal input on team members, as well as disciplinary or corrective actions.
- Discuss areas of interest with team members and schedule training as appropriate.
- Keep skill sets current with industry changes and University needs.
- Learn, adapt to, and optimize new technology and support team members in doing the same.
- Review team members’ CMMS entries for accuracy and thoroughness.
- Ensure team members are using prescribed safety measures (i.e., proper lifting techniques, lockout/tagout, etc.) and Personal Protective Equipment appropriately.
- Notify Manager/Sr. Manager of any potential safety or OSHA violations immediately.
- Complete Incident/Accident Report process if a team member sustains injury on campus.
- Participate in and make recommendations for safety training for team.
- Perform daily inspection of UM vehicles assigned to team; remove and report any unsafe vehicles from use.
- Take preventive maintenance steps and corrective action to mitigate emergencies and alleviate recurrence.
- Be current on Facilities Management services, policies, procedures (funded and non-funded services), programs, and communicate changes to team members proactively.
- Coordinate with Manager/Sr. Manager on updates to the Preventive Maintenance (PM) program for the shop/zone.
Scheduling and Timekeeping
- Coordinate and schedule with Facilities Work Control contractor work, and report any concerns to Manager/Sr. Manager; prepare cost estimates for contractor work and update accordingly if materials or timing change.
- Handle scheduling of assignments and changes for team members to meet operational needs.
- Review team members’ time entries in University timekeeping system in accordance with FLSA guidelines, and ensure accurate and timely submission of time and time off entries.
- Work with other shop/zone leads, managers, and technicians on maintenance issues or projects, and coordinate with external departments such as UM Police Department, Facilities Design & Construction, Office of Classroom Management, and Parking & Transportation, as needed.
- Must be able to perform outside normal working hours to include shift rotation, on-call, respond to after hour emergencies, callback, holiday coverages, weekends/nights, or as required for the operational needs of the University. Maintain current cell phone contact information.
High school diploma or equivalent.
- Five (5) or more years of relevant experience. Formal craft training of over three (3) years. Trade Certifications preferred for general maintenance mechanic. Trade specializations require valid license for trade specialty and license must be maintained.
- Overall knowledge of building maintenance and/or Facilities Management. Background in specialty trade preferred (Electrician, Plumber, Locksmith, Utility Locator, etc.).
- Supervisory experience highly preferred.
- Proficient with computers, including Microsoft Office applications (Word, Outlook, Excel).
- Proficient with TMA Systems or equivalent Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS).
- Knowledgeable in operating power tools and equipment.
- Skilled in problem solving and conflict resolution.
- National Incident Management System (NIMS) certification.
- Hold and maintain a valid driver license.
- Pass and maintain the Motor Vehicle Registration requirements.
- Pass and maintain criteria for Level II Background Screening.
Maintain sufficient physical strength, manual dexterity, acuity, and lifting ability. Examples:
- Lift, move, or carry 50lbs. over a distance of 20 feet.
- Handling equipment for specialist crafts –HVAC, electrical, plumbing, motors, pumps, air conditioning components, lighting fixtures and poles, concrete work, and carpentry.
- Able to work in conditions that are adverse – hot, dusty, cramped, wet, dirty, enclosed, work from heights and in areas where climbing is required up to 40 feet.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and primary responsibilities of this job classification. Specific duties and tasks may vary based upon departmental needs. Other duties may be assigned to the above consistent with the knowledge, skills & abilities required for a job. This is a summary description only and a detailed description is available at the point of interview.Apply online. Position #P00004073
The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. We are committed to educating and nurturing students, creating knowledge, and providing service to our community and beyond. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Come join us!]]>