The Associate Vice President, Facilities Construction is responsible for the oversight of new construction, renovation and infrastructure projects on the Gables and RSMAS campuses. This position reports to the Vice President of Facilities Operations and Planning.
1. Plans, develops, administers and coordinates all functions and services of a major University-wide designated unit that provides new construction, renovation and infrastructure installation services for the University.
2. Responsibilities are executed without specific direction, where goals and objectives of the designated unit are established and accomplished within the prescribed time frame parameters.
3. Handles complex factors not easily evaluated, assists in developing policies, procedures, and practices for which there is no precedent.
4. Directs and coordinates the activities of administrative personnel and construction management staff of this unit.
5. Exercise full responsibility and accountability for project budgets, personnel, and programs.
6. Coordinates design contracts, and hires and directs bid and award activities for construction and general contractors, designers, and other technical service personnel.
7. Presents reports to various stakeholders (i.e. Vice Presidents, Deans, end users, etc.) detailing project progress, schedules, and quality.
8. Oversees project budgets and reports tracking to Facilities Operations Finance and the central Budget office.
9. Reviews plans and ensures specifications meet the requirementsof contract documents and University standards.
10. Monitors and tracks the design and construction budget
11. Monitors and tracks project permits.
12. Conducts site visits to observe and documentthe progress of construction.
13. Adheres to University and unit-level policies and proceduresand safeguards Universityassets.
14. Supervises the performance of the department project managers and administrative staff positions including managers, assistant/associate directors, directors, and other staff members.
15. Responsible for overseeing personnel functions of the department including hiring, training, performance evaluations, etc.
16. Reviews and oversees all project budgets, schedules, and quality management.
17. Reviews, updates and maintains contracts and is responsible for negotiating contracts with various A/E and Construction Vendors. Reviews all bids for construction and design services, negotiates the best price, and recommends award of contract to the Vice President of Facilities Operations and Planning.
18. Negotiates Change orders and additional services for Contractors, Architects, Engineers, and other consultants. Project strategies will be in place to minimize these activities.
19. Oversees departmental continuous improvement programs including development and implementation of customer satisfaction programs, quality indicators, policies, and procedures.
20. Establishes and maintains building standards.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.
Bachelor’s Degree in relevantfield
Certification and Licensing:
Certification in relevant specialty or field
Minimum 15 years ofexperience in construction related field, some active construction site field work experience preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
Ability to Manage, Delegate and Direct the Design and Construction team to accomplish the desired objectives.Ability to analyze,organize and prioritize work under pressure while meeting deadlines.Ability to work independently and/or in a collaborative environment.Ability to maintaineffective interpersonal relationships.
Department Specific Functions:
Apply online. Position #5545427
The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. We are committed to educating and nurturing students, creating knowledge, and providing service to our community and beyond. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Come join us!]]>