Director of Strategic Communications & Marketing
GENERAL STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Director of Strategic Communications is the driving force for content strategy, brand expression, and the continuous improvement of our ongoing marketing programs, campaigns, and public relations. The Director’s prime mission is to provide leadership and oversight for the strategically directed marketing, communications, public relations, and social media initiatives of the College, while supporting our mission for student success. The Director will be knowledgeable in strategic marketing across higher education and an expert at discerning College and potential student needs along each stage of their educational journey, how those needs vary by segment, what content will best address those needs, and designing and delivering content to provide the most optimal experience. The ideal candidate will have a data-driven, test-and-learn mindset, with trust in her/his own instincts, and a willingness to take chances to succeed while being quick to learn from mistakes. Comprehensive digital fluency is essential in this role, including experience with the latest best practices and martech, as is comfort relaying information on all platforms in a professional manner whether presenting on behalf of the department, the President or the College.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
- Perform as the key leader in the creation and execution of omni-channel marketing programs, including social media, email, print advertisement, video, and radio to advance the College's mission and enhance its image and visibility to internal and external audiences.
- Curate a deep understanding of the potential student market, including needs, decision process, how they consume media, and other behaviors. Once understood, collaborate to develop objectives, tracking and reporting for marketing efforts aligning with enrollment management to articulate strategic content and a delivery plan across online and/or offline channels.
- Lead and collaborate on campaign planning, content creation, and creative direction; provide editorial, creative, and graphic design leadership by guiding and collaborating on the messaging, voice, look and feel of major campaigns and day-to-day design and content deliverables.
- Manage and evaluate ROI reporting across campaigns and channels to inform ongoing optimization and testing.
- Play a key role in branded experience development and experiences that drive brand health and increase enrollment, retention, and engagement.
- Maintain a strong proactive knowledge of student, competition, industry and marketing trends.
- Integrate the latest innovations and best practices in marketing communications to continually improve campaign effectiveness.
- Engage and demonstrate flexibility and openness, while working collaboratively with academic departments, faculty, staff, students, and student organizations.
- Manage staff and budget for the Office of Strategic Communications.
- Lead the Campus Crisis Communications Team with responsibility for crisis communication preparation and response while adhering to the Emergency Response Plan.
- Oversee non-crisis media relations and public information efforts.
- Research and implement marketing software and systems.
- Serve as College spokesperson as appropriate.
- Oversee social media content and website content management and organizational structure.
- Work closely with the President’s Office regarding College special events, including commencement, anniversary events, and community events.
- Provide support and counsel to the President, Cabinet, faculty, and staff on complex and/or sensitive public relations issues.
- Work collaboratively with the College community to promote College events.
- Bachelor’s degree with five years of related experience, ideally in the academic sector. Comprehensive digital fluency and superior understanding of digital marketing tactics and technology. Strong verbal and written communication skills. Demonstrated marketing/communications success in higher education, corporate, education, or agency setting. Effective relationship-building and interpersonal skills. Proven creative leadership with the ability to provide effective creative direction for design and content development. Proven budget management skills. Experience relaying data analytics and ROI measurements. Ability to speak on behalf of the President or College. Experience managing relationships and contracts with external vendors. Personal enthusiasm for our mission of student success and appreciation for the educational enterprise.
ADDITIONAL PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- MBA or related Master’s degree. Experience leading a seasoned team in a complex environment.
COMPENSATION: Full-time, Non-Unit Professional Position. Annual Salary Range of $90,000 - $97,000, dependent upon qualifications. Includes participation in a comprehensive employee benefits program.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 22, 2018