Director of Academic Programs
Job Location Normal, Il 61790
Posting date 03-29-2018
INTO ISU is a joint venture between Illinois State University and INTO University Partnerships and is an initiative to increase the number of international students at ISU and to assist the university in meeting its internationalization goals.
The Academic Director provides leadership to all INTO ISU programs (Academic English, Undergraduate Pathway, Graduate Pathway and others as they are developed) and academic personnel within the INTO ISU Center. The Director is responsible for program development, growth, execution, and review, and works with all University units in forwarding the University's goals towards internationalization of the campus and supporting Illinois State University international recruitment efforts. This includes, but is not limited to, the overall operational responsibility for the management and collaborative development of teaching resources, faculty, academic managers, academic support managers and assistants and related resources.
This is a new position in the growing and dynamic INTO Illinois State University (INTO ISU) Center. Duties and scope may change as the INTO ISU center and this role evolves from the start-up phase to continuous operations. We expect the candidate to help build the organization with a focus on achieving operational excellence.
1. Master's and/or PhD in Teaching English as a Second Language or closely related field
2. Significant experience in leadership in an ESL or an INTO partner university
3. Demonstrated ability to recruit, manage and motivate an academic team in a fast-paced dynamic environment.
4. An international outlook, with an ability to work in a diverse environment and to exhibit cross-cultural awareness and understanding
5. Commitment to ethical professional practice
6. High energy level and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
7. Hands-on approach to academic delivery, customer service and business growth
8. Ability to build and manage relationships with peers, senior managers, university stakeholders, parents and students from a range of linguistic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds
9. Ability to deploy and manage resources effectively with priority and time management
10. Ability to delegate management tasks and empower others
11. Ability to maintain sound judgment and decision-making even when under pressure
12. Ability to reconcile twin imperatives of delivering high quality academic programs in a university context while working for a "for profit" organization
13. Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
14. Competent IT and analytical skills
15. Willingness to travel domestically and internationally as needed
16. Passionate about mission, purpose and results
17. If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
1. Experience with the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation (CEA) process
2. Demonstrated involvement with regional and/or national professional organizations such as TESOL, NAFSA, English USA, or UCIEP
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to diversity. Females, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.