Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration and Chief Financial Officer
Senior Vice President for Finance & Administration and
Chief Financial Officer
The University of North Carolina System invites nominations and applications for the position of Senior Vice President for Finance & Administration and Chief Financial Officer. The Senior Vice President will serve as the chief financial and administrative officer of the UNC System and will be responsible for ensuring the use of efficient and effective business practices in the administration of the UNC System Office and its oversight of the University's seventeen constituent institutions.
The University of North Carolina is a multi-campus university dedicated to serving the whole state of North Carolina and its people through world-class teaching, research and scholarship, and outreach and service. Over two centuries, UNC has evolved into one of the strongest and most successful systems of public higher education in the nation. Today, nearly 225,000 students are enrolled on 17 university campuses across the state and at the NC School of Science and Mathematics, the country's first public, residential high school for gifted students.
While reporting directly to the President of the University, the SVP & CFO and will:
• Develop the budget, approximately $10 billion, for the University of North Carolina System and ensure that appropriate funding is allocated in a manner which advances the strategic priorities of the Board of Governors and the University's Strategic Plan.
• Monitor and report on financial performance throughout the University System as measured by key performance indicators and allocate performance-based funding to the constituent institutions in accord with established protocols.
• Serve as the principal liaison between The University of North Carolina and the Office of State Budget and Management (OSBM) and the General Assembly's Fiscal Research Division. Additionally, serve and/or represent the President on certain boards, e.g. UNCTV Foundation, the State Education Assistance Authority, Research Triangle Foundation of North Carolina.
• Oversee and coordinate constituent institutions' debt management transactions for presentation to the Board of Governors, including selection and management of the financial advisors and bond counsel for the system office.
• Ensure that information technology, human resources, and capital and facilities management activities effectively support the operations of the UNC System Office and that these functions provide appropriate consultative support and oversight to the constituent institutions.
• Provide oversight, management and interaction with state, federal, other external auditors.
• Ensure there are necessary business and financial policies, procedures, and systems in place across the System Office and at the constituent institutions to assure compliance with relevant Federal and State laws and regulations and generally accepted accounting principles.
• Oversee management of the UNC Endowment and certain related entity endowments and allocate resources in accordance with agreements.
• Provide leadership for The Division of Finance and Administration, which includes the following major functions: system budget and analysis, financial reporting, strategic sourcing (procurement), system office budget, accounting and reporting, capital planning and facilities, human resources, and information technology. The Division currently has an overall FTE count of 115, including the Senior Vice President.
Required and Desired Qualifications:
• Bachelor's degree required, with strong preference for an advanced degree in business, public administration, finance, accounting, or a related field.
• A minimum of 10 years of senior leadership experience managing budgets, financial forecasting, and business operations in a large complex institutional setting.
• Demonstrated prior experience in capital improvement, procurement, accounts receivables, accounts payables and related accounting and financial operations.
• Demonstrated expertise in financial standards, financial reporting, and compliance relevant for highly regulated public sector entities.
• Demonstrated experience in supervising and leading other managers and staff personnel.
• Strong familiarity with enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems and their implementation as a functional business owner.
• Prior experience in higher education and/or public sector organizations is strongly preferred.
Nomination and Application Process
Inquiries, nominations, and applications are invited. UNC has exclusively retained Academic Search, Inc. to assist with this search. Senior Consultants Nancy Suttenfield and William Howard welcome confidential discussions on this search by contacting them at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. All inquiries and submissions will be treated in confidence. Applications received by May 2, 2018, will be given full consideration, and review may continue thereafter until the position is filled. Complete applications will include a letter that addresses the minimum and preferred qualifications; a curriculum vitae; and the names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses of five references (who will not be contacted without permission), and should be sent electronically (MS Word format preferred) to UNCCFO@Academic-Search.com.
Full information about this opportunity can be viewed by going to www.Academic-Search.com and clicking on the "Current Searches" tab at the top of that home page.
Background checks will be performed on all final candidates.
The University of North Carolina General Administration is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer that welcomes all to apply, including protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.