Senior Solutions Engineer
Infrastructure and Operations (I&O) manages the ITS data centers and provides around-the-clock support for ITS business computing activities. This position is in the I&O Middleware group, which provides application server support for Java-based applications such as Sakai, SOA, Blackboard, the ITSApps cluster, and reverse proxy services provided to Campus Solutions. Middleware also provides infrastructure support for other campus technologies, including OnCore, the events calendar, the ITS content management system and web.unc.edu.
This position will implement infrastructure solutions that fit into the Middleware Services portfolio. The Middleware Services team provides application infrastructure support for services that include Sakai, Single Sign On, Splunk, Carolina CloudApps, Java environments, SAS/Business Intelligence, Remedy, wiki services, source code control systems, and traditional web services.
The position responsibilities fall between traditional system administration & application development. We provide the glue that binds those roles in support of our application infrastructure responsibilities.
We are seeking individuals who can move fluidly between projects and to help define/implement technical solutions that benefit the University. The best candidates will have a broad range of technical skills and be able to effectively multitask between numerous high visibility projects. They will understand emerging trends in the IT industry and help determine whether they could enhance our service portfolio.
The following experience is required:
Excellent critical and analytical thinking skills are required, as is the ability to multi-task.
We are looking for candidates who enjoy diving into new technologies and envisioning how these fit into our service portfolio. Our environment is fast paced and candidates who can move fluidly between projects are preferred. As we routinely solve complex IT problems having experience with areas such as application administration, system administration, application development or networking are all helpful.
If you have experience with two or more of the following technology types, we encourage you to apply:
• Web server administration and/or configuration using Apache or nginx
• OpenShift administration and/or development
• J2EE application server administration and/or configuration/tuning where Tomcat and JBoss are strongly preferred
• Log aggregation system management experience with Splunk highly preferred
• Content Management System administration and/or development where WordPress is strongly preferred
• Administration of learning management systems such as Sakai (strongly preferred), Blackboard, Moodle
• Source Code Control system management with Git, Gitlab, or Github highly preferred
• Configuration management tools such as Puppet or Ansible
• Continuous integration tools such as Jenkins
• Load balancer configuration
• Web Application Firewall configuration
• Performance monitoring tools such as AppDynamics, New Relic, or Wily
• Scripting/development languages using languages such as PHP, Perl, Python or Java
Experience in giving technical briefings to IT staffs would also be a plus
Bachelor’s degree preferred. Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Computer Engineering, or closely related degree from an appropriately accredited institution and three years of experience in operations analysis and design, systems programming, or closely related area; or a
- Bachelor’s degree from an appropriately accredited institution and four years of experience in operations analysis and design, systems programming or closely related area; or an Associate’s degree in Computer Information Technology, Computer Engineering Technology, or Networking Technology from an appropriately accredited institution and five years of experience in operations analysis and design, systems programming, or closely related area; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Journey level requires an additional one year of education or experience.
- Advanced level requires an additional two years of education or experience.
Information Technology Services: http://its.unc.edu/
Interested applicants must go to the UNC-CH job search page to apply for this position:
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.