COORDINATOR, BLACK CULTURAL CENTER
JOB NO.: 94056-AS
Work Type: Staff-Full Time
Categories: Academic Advising, Student Services/Support
Employment Class: Academic Staff-Renewable
Position Vacancy ID: 94056-AS
Working Title: COORDINATOR, BLACK CULTURAL CENTER
Official Title: ASSOC STU SERV COORD(T25FN)
Hiring Department: A042540-DEAN OF STUDENTS/ADMINISTRATION/MSC-ADMIN
Anticipated Begin Date: JUNE 01, 2018
Term: This is a renewable appointment.
Minimum $47,000 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
Degree and Area of Specialization:
Bachelor's degree required, Master's degree preferred. Relevant degree areas: higher education, social justice education, student affairs or closely related areas.
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
Minimum 2 years professional experience required.
1. Demonstrated knowledge of and commitment to Social Justice.
2. Acceptable professional experience areas: cultural center resource office or support program, student activities, student leadership, residential life, organizational development, and educational administration.
3. Strong theoretical and practical understanding of cultural, identity, student, and organizational development theories.
4. Proven ability to manage multiple projects with complex logistics, including the successful management and supervision of graduate student staff, undergraduate student staff, and volunteers.
5. Ability to work effectively with individuals and groups from a variety of identities.
6. Strong planning, coordination, and evaluation skills.
7. Supervision of student staff.
8. Capacity to make difficult decisions quickly and flexibility to handle multiple tasks.
9. Strong communication skills (written, oral, and electronic).
10. Program and/or workshop facilitation skills.
11. Strong organizational skills.
1. Educational Facility Operations.
2. Familiarity with advising cultural and identity-based student organizations.
License or certificate:
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Cultural Programming, the Program Coordinator of the Black Cultural Center will coordinate and facilitate educational and cultural experiences for and alongside Black and African-American students and their communities, including Black History Month, interpersonal dialogue groups, drop-in advising services, and other programming. The Program Coordinator also oversees the day-to-day operations of the Black Cultural Center, including the supervision of graduate and undergraduate student staff. The Program Coordinator is part of the overall Multicultural Student Center team, whose approach is based in social justice, racial justice, equity, and inclusion.
The mission of the Division of Student Life is to cultivate, advance, and interconnect the academic, professional, personal, and social development of students and to champion a respectful, globally aware and diverse university community.
The primary mission of the Multicultural Student Center is to collaboratively strengthen and sustain an inclusive campus where all students, particularly students of color and other historically underserved students, can realize an authentic Wisconsin Experience.
We actively advance social justice through our work and purposefully strive to offer an affirming environment for all. We are committed to creating working, learning, and living environments in which everyone has the opportunity to develop their potential and contribute fully to the university community.
The Division of Student Life promotes excellence by seeking diverse talent to join us in this important work. We invite all qualified individuals to apply.
The university, the division and all departments are equal opportunity/affirmative action employers.
Instructions to applicants:
Applications must be received through UW-Madison's online application system by the deadline date to ensure consideration. Applicants should submit a current resume and a cover letter that addresses how their experiences and skills match the qualifications and responsibilities of this position. Finalists will be asked to provide a list of professional references.
PLEASE NOTE: The online application system locks out all applicants at 11:55 PM Central Standard Time on the application deadline date. Online submissions must be COMPLETED by 11:55 PM Central Standard Time on the deadline date.
Additional Link: Full Position Details
NOTE: A Period of Evaluation will be Required
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Advertised: Mar 30 2018 Central Daylight Time
Application Close: Apr 20 2018 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time