Chief Applications Officer
Chief Applications Officer-1800848
This incumbent will be a member of the Hospital Executive Staff Group which is the policy making entity for University Hospital and is responsible and accountable for creating the enterprise-wide applications strategy for Stony Brook Medicine. The incumbent will be responsible for selecting, decommissioning and leveraging applications/systems for the entire organization. They will be responsible for creating policies that determine the necessary systems and accountable for all applications/systems and related services ensuring highly functional and integrated solutions. Serves as a high-level customer facing IT leader ensuring collaborative and effective relationships with all parts of the organization.
Primary IT relationships: Understands technology infrastructure at a high level in order to effectively collaborate with the Chief Technology Officer and Chief Information Security Officer in providing secure, integrated solutions compatible with the technical environment. Partners with the Chief Medical Information Officer and the Chief Nursing Information Officer to provide optimal solutions for clinicians.
Qualified candidates will possess outstanding communication skills while adhering to our high standard of excellence.
Brief Description of Duties
- Collaborates with business owners and provides strategic direction for applications portfolio that aligns with business strategy and helps move organization to next level.
- Manages all aspects of applications and systems implementations in order to meet customer expectations and maintain a high level of quality through communications, customer service, and organizational practices.
- Administers information systems, interfaces and production systems. Coordinates among the various teams within IT in systems development, project management, testing, implementation, and support.
- Establishes collaborative relationships with physicians, nurses, administrators, technical staff, consultants and vendors.
- Oversees integration/collaboration with applications maintained by IT as well as with non-IT groups.
- Leads the successful implementation and adoption of Cerner as the primary integrated vendor solution and leads the IT planning for all new and expanded clinical facilities.
- Oversees optimal system performance of applications related to legal and regulatory reporting requirements set forth by HITECH, HHS, and the meaningful use criteria and milestones.
- In collaboration with the Chief Medical Information Officer, positions enterprise systems for population health, ongoing participation in clinically integrated networks, and other new models of care initiatives.
- In conjunction with IT contracting staff and Procurement, negotiates and maintains vendor contracts for purchase and maintenance of software applications and related services.
- Serves as a key organizational contact for software vendors, ensuring the organization is aware of and prepared for changes in technology.
- In conjunction with PMO staff, maintains an ongoing inventory of software licenses purchased and applications maintained.
- Continually review the current applications portfolio for new technologies and improvements needed.
- Continually scans the market to identify and recommend new software solutions to enhance operations, efficiencies and reduce costs.
- As a senior IT leader, able to step in and represent the CIO in any circumstance as needed.
- Formulate policy, participate in negotiations, administer agreements, and exercise independent judgment in personnel administration operating at the highest level of decision making and authority as part of the senior IT leadership team.
- Serve as a senior leader to SBM, not just expert in their own functional area of IT.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with all senior SBM leaders, not just the leaders they work with in their own functional area.
- Work collaboratively as part of the IT leadership team to create a high functioning, cohesive team to serve the entire user community.
- Actively participate as member of IT senior management team in establishing long range strategy, project priorities, policy and standards for effectively supporting the organization and running IT like a business.
- Develop and implement long-range and near-term operating plans and prepare periodic progress reports.
- Develop and administer budgets for their functional area.
- Prepare appropriate level analysis, materials and presentations for executive level audiences.
- Continually identify opportunities for improvement across the entire department through regular rounding and other means, lead improvement efforts as needed.
- As senior leader, be willing to mentor and challenge staff in all areas of IT, not just their own area.
- Ensure ongoing professional development and training plans for all staff and be a role model demonstrating a commitment to continual learning.
- Independently resolve conflicts within IT and with user areas Be a role model to all consistently demonstrating integrity, honesty, mutual respect, professionalism, customer service, excellence and ownership.
Bachelor’s degree in information technology or related field required.
7 years of experience in healthcare IT including 3-5 years management at senior level.
- Significant experience managing large scale software implementations.
- Ability to lead groups and work collaboratively with physicians and health system management/leadership.
- Adaptive and flexible, models collaboration, tactfully communicates with all levels and clinicians, physicians, executives, management and others.
- Able to serve as operational leader for large, complex initiatives.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to interface and influence at all levels in the organization.
- Must have excellent interpersonal, presentation and facilitation skills.
- Must have a proven track record of successful implementations.
- Able to sense and envision technology needs in relation to organization’s strategy and priorities.
- Energetic, ambassador for the effective use of information technology.
- Able to resolve conflict.
- Understands and can clearly articulate major trends in healthcare IT.
- Experience working on IS capital and operating expense budgeting.
- Excellent performance record and proven ability to produce positive results.
- Must be able to work well in a fast-paced, heterogeneous environment.
- Ability to plan, direct and coordinate all activities of multiple teams with minimal supervision as a high functioning, highly accountable leader.
- Proven track record solving highly complex problems.
- Excellent critical thinking and innovative skills when developing solutions to meet business needs.
- Master's degree
- Knowledge and experience with Cerner
Special Notes: Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
All Hospital positions are subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary. This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services (The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination), submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
This function/position has been designated as “essential.” This means that when the Hospital is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover, and continue operations at Stony Brook Medicine, Stony Brook University Hospital and related facilities.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The best ideas in medicine start with the best people. At Stony Brook Medicine, our highest calling is to put the power of ideas to work in our patients’ lives. Stony Brook Medicine integrates and elevates all of our health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. Stony Brook Medicine is Long Island’s premier academic medical center. With 603 beds, we serve as the region’s only tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center, and are home to the Stony Brook Heart Institute, Stony Brook Cancer Center, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital, Stony Brook Neurosciences Institute, and Stony Brook Digestive Disorders Institute. We also encompass Suffolk County’s only Level 4 Regional Perinatal Center, state-designated AIDS Center, state-designated Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program, state-designated Burn Center, the Christopher Pendergast ALS Center of Excellence, and Kidney Transplant Center. It is home of the nation’s first Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AThttp://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Official Job Title: TH Associate Administrator
Job Field: Administrative & Professional (non-Clinical)
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Medical Center Information System-Stony Brook University Hospital
Schedule: Full-time Day Shift 830am - 5pmMedical Center Information System-Stony Brook University Hospital
Posting Start Date: Mar 30, 2018
Posting End Date: Apr 29, 2018, 11:59:00 PM
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Salary Grade: MP3