Associate Director for Office of the CIO
Associate Director for Office of the CIO-1800847
This incumbent will be a member of the Hospital Executive Staff Group which is the policy making entity for University Hospital. The incumbent is accountable for the direction of the IT business functions enterprise-wide for Stony Brook Medicine. They manage the operations of the IT department to ensure IT is run like a business providing leadership for cross-functional services across IT. This includes financial oversight, budget planning, negotiating multimillion dollar IT contracts, internal and customer facing communications, space planning, position control and working with HR liaison on talent management initiatives on behalf of IT. Provides leadership and oversight to the PMO function in support of all IT projects.
Primary IT relationships: Works closely with all senior IT leaders to obtain input on department-wide functions and processes and to ensure consistent implementation and compliance with same.
Qualified candidates will possess outstanding communication skills while adhering to our high standard of excellence.
Brief Description of Duties
- Oversees finance and budget for IT ensuring the department remains on budget, explaining any negative variances and determining corrective steps.
- Works with CIO and senior leaders to project operating and capital requirements for future years including maintaining a multi-year forecast.
- Serves as the liaison to Finance on all internal controls and metrics within IT.
- Oversees the contract management function for IT inclusive of all contracts ensuring optimal terms and pricing and ensuring appropriate invoice/contract reconciliation.
- Works with Procurement and Legal to ensure contract process is as efficient and timely as possible given state policies and procedures.
- Works with HR liaison on talent management initiatives on behalf of IT.
- Oversees the communications function for IT including internal and customer facing communications regarding strategies,services and changes that will affect IT staff, stakeholders and customers.
- Manages and staffs the IT governance process in collaboration with the CIO.
- Provides leadership and oversight to the PMO function ensuring common project management methodologies, standards and processes are adhered to for all IT projects and that projects remain on schedule.
- Establish application portfolio management across the enterprise and create roadmap for application rationalization.
- Manages IT space for all locations working closely with IT leaders to determine current and future needs to effectively support the department’s ability to deliver services and create a positive work environment for staff.
- Oversees any IT surveys and award submissions.
- Provides leadership for development and implementation of department wide standards, policies and processes.
- Provides support for special projects identified by the CIO.
- As a senior IT leader, able to step in and represent the CIO in any circumstance as needed.
- Formulate policy, participate in negotiations, administer agreements, and exercise independent judgment in personnel administration operating at the highest level of decision making and authority as part of the senior IT leadership team.
- Serve as a senior leader to SBM, not just expert in their own functional area of IT.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with all senior SBM leaders, not just the leaders they work with in their own functional area.
- Work collaboratively as part of the IT leadership team to create a high functioning, cohesive team to serve the entire user community.
- Actively participate as member of IT senior management team in establishing long range strategy, project priorities, policy and standards for effectively supporting the organization and running IT like a business.
- Develop and implement long-range and near-term operating plans and prepare periodic progress reports.
- Develop and administer budgets for their functional area.
- Prepare appropriate level analysis, materials and presentations for executive level audiences.
- Continually identify opportunities for improvement across the entire department through regular rounding and other means, lead improvement efforts as needed.
- As senior leader, be willing to mentor and challenge staff in all areas of IT, not just their own area.
- Ensure ongoing professional development and training plans for all staff and be a role model demonstrating a commitment to continual learning.
- Independently resolve conflicts within IT and with user areas Be a role model to all consistently demonstrating integrity, honesty, mutual respect, professionalism, customer service, excellence and ownership.
Bachelor’s degree in information technology or related field required.
7 years of experience in healthcare IT including 3-5 years management at senior level.
- Significant experience managing large scale software implementations.
- Ability to lead groups and work collaboratively with physicians and health system management/leadership.
- Adaptive and flexible, models collaboration, tactfully communicates with all levels and clinicians, physicians, executives, management and others.
- Able to serve as operational leader for large, complex initiatives.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to interface and influence at all levels in the organization.
- Must have excellent interpersonal, presentation and facilitation skills.
- Must have a proven track record of successful implementations.
- Able to sense and envision technology needs in relation to organization’s strategy and priorities.
- Energetic, ambassador for the effective use of information technology.
- Able to resolve conflict.
- Understands and can clearly articulate major trends in healthcare IT.
- Experience working on IS capital and operating expense budgeting.
- Excellent performance record and proven ability to produce positive results.
- Must be able to work well in a fast-paced, heterogeneous environment.
- Ability to plan, direct and coordinate all activities of multiple teams with minimal supervision as a high functioning, highly accountable leader.
- Proven track record solving highly complex problems.
- Excellent critical thinking and innovative skills when developing solutions to meet business needs.
- Master's degree
- Knowledge and experience with Cerner
Special Notes: Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
All Hospital positions are subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary. This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services (The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination), submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
This function/position has been designated as “essential.” This means that when the Hospital is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover, and continue operations at Stony Brook Medicine, Stony Brook University Hospital and related facilities.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected].
The best ideas in medicine start with the best people. At Stony Brook Medicine, our highest calling is to put the power of ideas to work in our patients’ lives. Stony Brook Medicine integrates and elevates all of our health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. Stony Brook Medicine is Long Island’s premier academic medical center. With 603 beds, we serve as the region’s only tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center, and are home to the Stony Brook Heart Institute, Stony Brook Cancer Center, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital, Stony Brook Neurosciences Institute, and Stony Brook Digestive Disorders Institute. We also encompass Suffolk County’s only Level 4 Regional Perinatal Center, state-designated AIDS Center, state-designated Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program, state-designated Burn Center, the Christopher Pendergast ALS Center of Excellence, and Kidney Transplant Center. It is home of the nation’s first Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AThttp://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Official Job Title: TH Associate Administrator
Job Field: Administrative & Professional (non-Clinical)
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Medical Center Information System-Stony Brook University Hospital
Schedule: Full-time Day Shift 830am - 500pmMedical Center Information System-Stony Brook University Hospital
Posting Start Date: Mar 30, 2018
Posting End Date: Apr 29, 2018, 11:59:00 PM
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Salary Grade: MP3