Assistant Director, Housing & Real Estate Services - Financial Services
Requisition # 2018-8615
Department Housing & Real Estate Services
Category Administrative Support
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
This position is responsible for the development and management of the Housing and Real Estate Services (HRES) departmental budget, for advising and presenting to senior administration regarding budgetary matters, and for the financial functions of both the day-to-day operations and portions of the capital investments of HRES. In addition, this position is responsible for the management of key current and historical data, specifically building inventory and occupancy data and the development of retrieval mechanisms. The Assistant Director functions as a liaison to the Facilities Business Office, the Finance and Treasury Budget Office, and the Provost's Office and is a key contact for financial information systems for Residential and Business Services. The Assistant Director is also responsible for supervising the HRES Financial Coordinator.
The Assistant Director has solid line reporting responsibility to the Executive Director of Finance and Technology Administration, University Services and dotted line reporting responsibility to the Assistant Vice President, University Services.
A full job description will be furnished prior to interview.
Financial Transacting, Reporting, and Monitoring
- Develop and manage the HRES annual budget. Integrate diverse business operating models, including third party management of properties, into the HRES and University budget planning and reporting processes. Work with the Budget Office to ensure that the departmental budget is accurately included in the University's accounting system.
- Prepare annual submittals - Priorities Committee (PriCom) presentations, Provostial budget memos, variance reports.
- Strategic and advisory role on operating and other funds (such as furniture funding).
- Ensure accurate and current accounting for revenue, expenses and capital investments, including creating and processing journals, collaborating with Facilities and Finance and Treasury to ensure all interdepartmental transactions have been processed and managing purchase orders, requisitions, sole source justifications, and other related procurement documents.
- Establish and regularly update the systems, procedures, and processes for timely reporting and tracking of the operational budget; develop reporting tools, provide strategic analysis of financial expenditures and advise senior administrators regarding budget performance, make recommendations, and propose solutions to related issues.
- Effectively liaison with the Facilities Business Office, the Finance and Treasury Budget Office, and the Provost's Office.
- In consultation with the Capital Planning Analyst, ensure that changes in operational costs that result from capital investments are accurately included in the budget.
- Conduct analysis and develop models for new initiatives and proposals in Residential and Business Services.
- Identify and implement appropriate processes and reports for reporting on investments in the Housing and Real Estate portfolio and the Real Estate Capital Plan.
- Function as the department's lead user of University financial systems; ensure the integration of departmental systems and PRIME.
- Monitor and reconcile financial information, including but not limited to balance sheet accounts and non-operating funds, to detect improper or inaccurate charges.
- Provide process direction and implement profit and loss (P & L) reporting for the University's rental housing portfolio.
- Approve credit card transactions and reports to assure monthly expense reports are substantiated and completed by authorized HRES staff.
- Prepare ad hoc reports for senior administration.
Data Collection and Management
- Collect information needed to develop the annual recommendations for the PriCom. Conduct the analysis of rates (dorms and apartment rentals), including consulting with appraisers and peers, and evaluating various cost drivers.
- Ensure that historical and current building and occupancy data is available and easily accessible. Assure that HRES data is up to date and consistent and take proactive steps with internal functional managers and external department (Design and Construction) to assure floor plans and square footage are accurate; the data elements for units are consistent, and that University properties are correctly classified on the tax rolls.
- Collaborate with colleagues in HRES to track Purchase Plan data and maintain accurate property and transaction records.
- Obtain information from independent appraisers related to market rental prices and prepare analysis to ensure that any imputed income is correctly accounted for by the University.
- Actively participate in the University Services data analytics initiative, providing information and insight into data, its location, and the visualizations.
Business Processes and Procedures
- Offer assistance and training for staff's access to Information Warehouse, PeopleSoft, Labor Accounting, Concur, Prime, and other related on-line financial resources.
- Ensure that access to systems is given to staff, as deemed appropriate.
- Ensures compliance with all University policies and procedures.
- Supervise one staff employee (financial coordinator). Administers annual performance appraisals; counsel and mentor employee as required. Recommends annual merit increase.
- Provides staff with training opportunities.
- Lead special projects for HRES and/or University Services, as assigned.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance or related field or Bachelor's degree in another field with seven to nine years related experience.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills and the ability to manage detail and organize data and related information for various key constituencies.
- Capacity to forecast budgets and perform sound analysis and model for proposed budget changes and housing projects.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure with multiple/competing deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a timely manner and maintain deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully in both a team environment and individual basis.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain high ethical and confidentiality standards.
- Demonstrated skills in collecting and synthesizing data and designing workflows and procedures.
- Excellent problem solving and decision making skills.
- Expert ability to navigate and create reports from financial management systems.
- Proficiency in working with computer applications and information systems, including Microsoft Excel.
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and successfully work in a constantly changing environment.
- Proven ability to lead projects.
- Availability to work weekends and after hours to support various special events, such as Move-In, Move-Out, and Reunions/Commencement.
- Prior experience in higher education administration.
- Prior experience in the preparation and interpretation of Real Estate finance analysis.
- Prior budgetary responsibility.
- Experience with a complex financial accounting system, such as Prime.
- Ability to handle long-term planning and budgeting to ensure resources are efficiently and effectively deployed.
- Experience with data analysis and related applications (i.e., Tableau software).
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.