Facility Maintenance Technician - Mechanical Trades
Requisition Number S1463
Position Number 4072
Position Classification Title Facility Maint Mech Tradesman
Functional Title Facility Maintenance Technician - Mechanical Trades
Position Type Staff
The Office of Housing and Residence Life is currently seeking qualified applicants for a Facilities Maintenance Tech - Mechanical Tradesman.
UNDER GENERAL SUPERVISION, THIS POSITION WILL PERFORM:
1. Perform as a plumber for Housing and Residence Life.
2. Position will also perform a variety of semi-skilled manual tasks and duties in support of general building facilities maintenance.
3. Basic maintenance in residence hall buildings consisting of carpentry, painting, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, etc..
4. Basic maintenance using power and hand tools to troubleshoot, repair, replace parts, components, and/or systems within building facilities.
ESSENTIAL TASKS INCLUDE:
• Serve as a plumber and working knowledge of other trades;
• Responding to plumbing work orders and all other facilities requests as needed
• Operating, repairing, and maintaining various power and hand tools, maintenance equipment, etc.;
• Working effectively individually or with teams, as well as with diverse groups;
• Communicating orally, in writing or electronically;
• Working effectively in a service oriented environment subject to frequently changing priorities;
• Solving problems using sound judgement;
• Understanding and applying University and Departmental policies and procedures;
• Occasionally working overtime based on the departmental needs; during the summer months (May through August) to prepare buildings for occupancy;
• Observing and reporting, through the work order system, all correspondence related to the requests and/or work order; defects, deterioration, and wear and tear on the facilities;
• Exhibiting proper safety practices and constructively participating in shop safety programs;
• Practicing proper and safe use of maintenance equipment, chemicals, tools, etc.;
• Maintaining a functional awareness of the typical hazards of the work place; as well as following established procedures for dealing with such potential hazards;
• Performing other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Position is required to be in the on call rotation (after normal hours), as specified by the schedule.
Must have a valid North Carolina driver's license.
HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR EQUIVALENCY; OR DEMONSTRATED POSSESSION OF THE COMPETENCIES NECESSARY TO PERFORM THE WORK. SOME POSITIONS MAY REQUIRE SPECIAL LICENSES OR CERTIFICATION. OPTIONAL GUIDELINES: EXPERIENCE IN THE TRADE AREA RELATED TO THE AREA OF ASSIGNMENT MAY BE SUBSTITUTED ON A YEAR-FOR-YEAR BASIS.
Previous experience as a plumber.
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must complete and submit an electronic application for employment to be considered. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing an electronic application. The application must be completed in full detail for your qualifications to be considered.
Applicants are required to upload a list of references of least three (3) professional references that includes:
Type of reference (Professional, Supervisor, Colleague, Academic or Personal). One (1) of those references will need to be a current or previous supervisor.
Contact Phone Number
Applications are not successfully submitted until an online confirmation number has been received at the end of the application process.
Recruitment Range $38,387 - $39,811
Org #-Department Housing and Residence Life - 44502
Work Hours of Position Monday - Friday 7:30 am - 4:30 pm
Job Family Operations and Skilled Trades
Competency Level Journey
Open Date 03/30/2018
Close Date 04/22/2018
Job Close Date
Salary Grade Equivalency 65
Number of Months per Year 12
- List of References
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Have you graduated from high school or received a GED?
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Piedmont Triad Area Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other professional journal / website
- UNC School System Job Board
- Personal Networking
- If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu