International Student Services Coordinator
International Student Services Coordinator
As a living, learning and working community, Susquehanna University affirms its commitment to being an engaged, culturally inclusive campus. As we seek to embody the rich diversity of the human community, we commit ourselves to the full participation of persons who represent the breadth of human difference. The university encourages candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply. Susquehanna University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Susquehanna University is a national liberal arts college committed to excellence in educating students for productive, creative and reflective lives of achievement, leadership and service in a diverse, dynamic and interdependent world. Its more than 2,200 undergraduates come from 35 states and 22 countries, and all students study away through Susquehanna's unique Global Opportunities program. Susquehanna University's 325 acre campus, noted for its beauty, is located in Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania, 50 miles north of Harrisburg in the scenic Susquehanna River Valley, about a three hour drive from Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., and New York City. For more information, please visit https://www.susqu.edu.
This position reports to the Director of International Student Services and English Language Learner Program. The position is focused primarily on the support and retention of degree-seeking international students, exchange students and Susquehanna ELL students (50-75% depending on university need). The position also works closely with the Admissions staff to contribute to the recruitment of international students in all three categories (25-50% depending on university need). This position is responsible for international student orientations, programming and record keeping, including the maintenance of visa records.
•	Maintain frequent and regular contact with international students – with special attention to first-year international students – through programming, meetings, informal interactions outside of the office, and other means as necessary
•	Provide international student orientations each semester or ELL term as needed, including programming focused on adaptation to US higher education and culture
•	Collaborate and coordinate efforts with the International Admissions staff regarding recruitment of international degree-seeking and ELL students. This may include phone calls to agents to identify future prospects; follow-up communication with admitted students to secure enrollments; and help in the transition from deposited student to enrolling student.
•	Maintain regular communication with exchange partners concerning inbound students including student application materials, visa documents, course preferences and other materials
•	Assist with the issuance and maintenance of student SEVIS records, including registration, CPT/OPT, information updates, and travel documents
•	Coordinate pre-arrival communication with committed incoming degree-seeking, exchange and ELL international students
•	Work with faculty advisors of international students and other SU offices on needs specific to international students
•	Coordinate and support a peer student mentor program for new international students
•	Stay informed of updates and changes in the SEVIS system
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
Ability to work with students at varying levels of English language ability and American cultural understanding. Must engage regularly with international students both in and outside of the office. The ability to manage and process a high volume of detailed information with frequent interruptions is required. The position requires excellent communication skills, with the ability to handle frustrating or emotional interactions. Must be able to work some evenings and weekends as needed. Demonstrated intercultural ability. Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills. On-the-job training on specific duties including SEVIS training will be provided.
Bachelor's degree required.
Position requires the ability to stand or sit for extended periods of time. Position requires the ability to move about the campus. Position requires the ability to talk and to hear instruction. Position requires occasional manual dexterity and the ability to use fingers, hands, and arms to feel, handle, and reach. Position requires occasional stooping, crouching and bending. Position requires the ability to occasionally lift up to 10 pounds. Working conditions are indoor. Position may require travel.
International experience living, studying or working abroad and/or experience working in an international office preferred. Must be US Citizen or permanent resident to be able to work in SEVIS.
For full application instructions and position description, visit https://jobs.susqu.edu/postings/1483