Administrative Specialist IV - Program Coordinator Leadership & Civic Engagement
Under the direction of the Manger for Leadership and Engagement, and in collaboration with other departments and colleges throughout the university, the Program Coordinator organizes and administers student leadership experiences with a community/civic engagement focus for programs within the Center for Student Leadership. The Program Coordinator helps oversee the CSLs Owl Leadership Fellows, and works directly with campus partners, community partners and partner universities to organize and administer innovative and impactful engagement programs. The CSLs engagement programs develop students leadership capacity by exposing them to significant social issues (i.e., homelessness), helping them analyze these issues, and challenging them to advocate for ways to mitigate the issues. Accordingly, the Coordinator is also responsible for developing and facilitating preparation sessions prior to the engagement experiences, as well as reflective learning processes during and after the experiences. The CSLs engagement programs include community service initiatives that last less than a day, multi-day and week-long alternative breaks, and university exchange initiatives. Finally, the Program Coordinator is responsible for developing and mentoring Advanced Student Leaders who assist the CSL with student leadership development and community engagement efforts.
Performs a variety of professional and administrative duties in support of the day-to-day operations of a function, program, and/or dept; assists in program planning & development; interpret, monitor, & analyze information regarding operating policies & procedures; administers budgets; & coordinate academic and/or staff personnel matters. Performs "advanced-level" administrative support duties; not a secretarial position.
- Organizes and administers short-term, co-curricular and extra-curricular student leadership community/civic engagement and service learning experiences.
- The CSL engagement activities enrich students learning by helping them reflect upon their personal leadership capacities, while applying those capacities to positively impact the campus and/or local, regional, and national communities.
- Develops and mentors Student Leaders who assist with CSL student leadership engagement initiatives, and supervises student workers assigned to the CSL.
- Collaborates with campus partners, community partners, and other universities to implement sustainable student leadership engagement and exchange experiences.
- Engagement experiences in the form of community service, alternative breaks, and student leadership exchanges develop students leadership capacity by exposing them to significant social issues (i.e., homelessness), helping them analyze these issues, and challenging them to advocate for ways to mitigate those issues.
- Conducts assessments for community/civic engagement and service learning focused experiences.
- Collaborates with other CSL staff to implement student leadership development programs.
- Assists the Program Manager in collaborating with academic departments to develop student scholarship and applied research opportunities for KSU students.
- Presents leadership development sessions in collaboration with campus and community partners.
- Travels with students on local, regional, and national engagement experiences.
Bachelor's degree and 4 years of related experience OR a High School diploma and 2 years of college coursework and 6 years of related experience OR High School diploma and 8 years.
Professional knowledge/skills needed:
- Knowledge of leadership and student development theories
- Excellent facilitation and presentation skills, and the ability to apply effective training methodologies
- Experience in designing curriculum for co-curricular and extra-curricular programming
- Ability to build and leverage relationships with diverse audiences and partners
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends, as needed
- Ability to drive a 12-passenger van for local, regional, and national trips
- Ability to plan strategically, prioritize time, and implement action plans in a fast-moving, changeable environment
- Experience with supervising and coaching/mentoring undergraduate students
- Familiarity with assessment and evaluation processes